What Are Your Go To Cupcake Liners?

Baking By Mommy_Cakes Updated 5 Jul 2016 , 5:02am by Dar917

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 3 Jul 2016 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 7

I love making cupcakes, but I haven't found a liner that I'm particularly fond of.
I don't like the greasy look that some have and that's just not the look I'm going for.

Any recommendations?

6 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Jul 2016 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 7

I just typed a long reply with photos and the site destroyed the post....AAAAAGH!  

OK, I'll try again.

If you live on the West Coast of the USA and have a Smart & Final store nearby, you can purchase a package of 500 white glassine liners for about $6.  These work GREAT!

If you are going for the look of a fancy liner, then use FOIL LINED cupcake liners.  Wilton makes a foil-lined cupcake baking cup in a line called:  Colorcups

Warning!  Do NOT buy any Wilton liners unless they say Colorcups.  All other liners are just paper and will darken and muddy when used with cake batter. 

http://www.wilton.com/searchsummary?q=colorcups

Example of zebra ColorCups I used with lemon, yellow, and chocolate batter: 

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/315

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 12:10am
post #3 of 7

My standard cupcake liners are black with white polka dots from Pfeil & Holing

Apti Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 2:49am
post #4 of 7

@hippiecac -- Just curious, since the prices seem to be the same ($15.60 per 500), why did you choose the paper black with white polka dots instead of the black foil bake cups?    It would seem that the white polka dots would become "muddy"  depending on whether the cupcake batter was chocolate.

I purchased about 300 assorted colors of the "greaseproof" designs from an Etsy site that was going out of business.  (Ended up paying about 4 cents per liner).  The liners are this type:

https://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=10234&p_catid=271&page=2 

I was SO excited to get "greaseproof" cups that would be soooo much better than the crummy Wilton paper cups.  Wrong.  These "Swedish greaseproof" versions were only a little better than the paper version.  I even did a comparison tutorial on the (now defunct) Wilton forum showing the disappointing muddy finishes.  I will never spend more than 1-2 cents per liner for "greaseproof" again.   I actually ended up using the supposedly greaseproof cups with pretty designs for my chocolate-dipped strawberries and cookies. 

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 7

@Apti ‍  I've been using the same ones for 6 years. The design remains intact even with chocolate.   

Apti Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 1:00am
post #6 of 7

Thanks.

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 5:02am
post #7 of 7

I'm a fan of the foil/metallic ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%