Damage Control Cake :-(

Decorating By ElizabethsCakeCreations Updated 26 Jun 2016 , 5:52pm by ElizabethsCakeCreations

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 25 Jun 2016 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 10

[postimage id="4389" thumb="900"][postimage id="4390" thumb="900"]Does anyone else get those cakes that feel like they are all damage control? I bit off more than I could chew with this one. Notice the star dummy, needed more support, had to use the bottom tier of my circus dummy and didn't have enough time to match the theme. That's just one issue, i know you see the rest.

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2016 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 10

so everything from the white drum down is a dummy cake or a big column?

or

do you mean the star cake is from your circus dummy cake?

and an idea for next time -- i know you've already completed this cake --

is that one of those long clear tubes there under the icing? you probably know this but those have plates that fit securely -- so if you put a bigger plate on the bottom -- and secure it well -- it works fine -- plenty of support

I'm not one of those that only appreciate competition clean Kerry Vincent worthy cakes -- in the first place it looks like it is color coordinated and I'm not familiar with the design origin but it ain't bad as is there -- little 'loving hands at home' look to it but nothing wrong with that --

i mean if you had a picture to copy or something idk but as is -- it's cool -- bet it made 4 year old morgan's day

don't be so hard on yourself and don't publish cakes you don't like --

best to you -- onward & upward

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2016 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 10

it's wonky and cute -- has it's own charm -- you get an A for effort

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 25 Jun 2016 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 10

That there looks like a Paw Patrol cake!  

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 2:28am
post #5 of 10

It was a hit so I guess that's all that matters. I bet it looked cute with the paw patrol cars on it the customer was supplying those

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 2:29am
post #6 of 10

Oh and it was pvc pipe

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 2:42am
post #7 of 10

Thank you ladies, I was so disappointed on how it turned out, I appreciate your kind words

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 10:48am
post #8 of 10

http://www.efavormart.com/acrylic-cake-stand-plates.aspx

and if you look around there you'll see the column -- you can do many different applications with this set up

jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 11:35am
post #9 of 10

I'll bet the recipient of your cake was thrilled, and that's what it's all about, isn't it? I'm actually pretty impressed with the construction, and I haven't gotten brave enough yet to attempt something like this, so kudos to you! If it makes you feel any better, though, I recently did cakes for brothers born only three weeks (different years apart). Somehow I got my wires crossed and put the first brother's name on the second brother's cake, which no one noticed until they unboxed it at the party. Sheesh, I was mortified. Mom insists that the child didn't even notice, but I'm not so sure. Early in my cake decorating days I delivered a cake to a party in 100-degree heat and high humidity, and despite traveling with the AC at full blast, by the time I arrived most of the buttercream had softened and slid right off the cake onto the board. Oh, was the customer hopping mad! Every cake is a learning opportunity, right? I now triple-check names and spellings before I put them on the cake, and I understand the importance of transporting a cake that is thoroughly chilled. You will know some tricks to make the next one more like what you envision. :)

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 5:52pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks! That's a good price :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%