Question About Adding Flour To A Box Cake Mix..."extender"

Baking By beenew Updated 21 Jun 2016 , 12:18am by beenew

beenew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenew Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there.   I am going to make a pull apart cupcake cake for my son's birthday.  Curious about these "extender" recipes.    Will adding flour to the boxed mixes not make it taste too flour-y?  Wanting to make some really nice white vanilla cupcakes.   Seems when Ive used box mixes alone they really puff in the middle.  Can anyone give me some input using the extra flour and sugar?  We don't typically eat a lot of cake, so trying not to make a whole bunch of trial and error batches before doing these.  Thanks in advance for any advice.  PS...I have tried to make from scratch, but we seem to prefer the box consistency.  

6 replies
MelaMang75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelaMang75 Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 7

It shouldn't make it "floury" if you're adding other ingredients as well.  The WASC recipe seems to be the most popular.  I've also taken a cake mix and used milk instead of water, added an extra egg, and used double the amount of melted butter as opposed to oil.  It's turned out really good too!  It's just a tad bit denser than the box alone, but still moist!  

beenew Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 7

Gee, thank you for that!  I really appreciate  your time!

MelaMang75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelaMang75 Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 7

You're very welcome!  Hope it helped!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 7

If your cupcakes are puffy in the middle you probably are baking them at too high a temp.  Try reducing the temp to no more than 325 but even better is 300.   Can't help but tout my *original* WASC recipe :)        As for adding flour as long as sugar etc is also added there is no flour-y taste.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenew Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 12:18am
post #7 of 7

Thank you kakeladi.  I had been looking at your stuff and thank you very much for your link!   I am a very novice baker.  Typically 1 to 2 "decorated" cakes a year.  I have been trying to do my sons birthday cakes, so I always start looking a couple of months before, hahah. Thank you again MelaMang75 as well and Kakeladi!   Very much appreciated!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%