Island In Florida In July

Decorating By dontpanik Updated 19 Jun 2016 , 12:54am by carolinecakes

dontpanik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dontpanik Posted 17 Jun 2016 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 6

So I have the bad luck of having my grandmother's 90th birthday party on the 9th of July.  We live on the Space coast on the barrier island.  I am only about 10 minutes drive from the venue, but we have only 1 hour to set up before the party.  Here are my questions:

• How far in advance should I make the 1/2 sheet cake?
  • Would it be easier for me to just bake two and layer them, or torte the one cake?
  • Should I freeze the layer(s) before frosting or will I have difficulty with condensation?
  • I want to decorate the cake the night before the party.  How far in advance should I make the buttercream and how would I store it (at what temp?)
  • What vanilla frosting/buttercream recipe would be best for a 1/2 sheet cake  in 95 degree heat with approximately 80% humidity....in the middle of the afternoon ?

Sorry for all the questions, but my research hasn't led me to any conclusions and I'm getting pretty close to the date.  I will say I bought a small container of the wilton frosting.  I took one teaspoon.  I would not feed that to a starving dog.  I have used it before, 20 years ago, and don't remember it tasting like plastic shortening.  I am not above using pre-packaged, in fact I quite like the aldi vanilla frosting, but I imagine it would not hold up to decorating, lol.  Please, I am a hobby baker only and I usually only do cakes for parties in the "winter" when the temps may be in the mid 80s, but the humidity is much lower.

5 replies
LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 17 Jun 2016 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry I have no answers to your questions at the moment, but just wanted to say - hey, her 90th birthday?!! That is not bad luck you have! I hope she celebrates tha-heck out of it. Happy birthday to your grandma! 

:-)

P.S. I also want to see photos of the Space coast of the barrier island. Just cos. 

P.P.S What design are you making? I'd just refrigerate everything until the last moment. Is the venue A/C-ed?

dontpanik Posted 17 Jun 2016 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 6

[postimage id="4240" thumb="900"]

Well, here's an answer to two of your suggestions, lol.  This is the venue.  It is right on the beach.  Air conditioned, yes.  I haven't been in it so I don't know how well it works, but I'd imagine just fine.

I intend to just to a straight 1/2 sheet cake with maybe a shell border around the bottom with just rosettes on top.  I'm making a small bunting to put on top.  A combination of the two pictures below (I'm sorry, I don't know where to credit the original photos)

[postimage id="4241" thumb="900"][postimage id="4242" thumb="900"]

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jun 2016 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 6

One of the things you need to check on is when the air conditioning will be turned on.  If they wait until someone arrives to set up it probably will never cool! :(  I have little to no experience with high humidity but maybe my answers will help some.

How far in advance should I make the 1/2 sheet cake? ANSWER: If you have freezer space you can bake now.  Wrap well in plastic wrap then into a plastic bag.  Thaw by removing to the frig the night before decorating it.  If not, bake 2 days in advance. Would it be easier for me to just bake two and layer them, or torte the one cake? ANSWER:  If you have never torted a 1/2 sheet you might be happier making two layers.  Just know that will double the amount of servings,  Another idea would be to bake one, cut it in half and 'flop' it on top after filling is added :) Should I freeze the layer(s) before frosting or will I have difficulty with condensation? ANSWER:  Freezing will improve the moistness of the cake overall.  Definitely thaw before working on them.  See above answer. I want to decorate the cake the night before the party.  How far in advance should I make the buttercream and how would I store it (at what temp?)

ANSWER:  B'cream can be made and stored in the frig at any time. (Can actually be fzn also)  It will last up to 30 days if kept in a container w/a tight lid.  

What vanilla frosting/buttercream recipe would be best for a 1/2 sheet cake  in 95 degree heat with approximately 80% humidity....in the middle of the afternoon ?

Sorry, can't really help with this ? :(

dontpanik Posted 18 Jun 2016 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 6

Ah, thank you for your answers!  Luckily, the A/C is always on because it is a community building they use for classes and other community events.  There is also an industrial size refrigerator there so if worse comes to worse, I can refrigerate it instead of leaving it out but I would really prefer to serve it at room temperature.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 19 Jun 2016 , 12:54am
post #6 of 6

have a look at this thread, there are a couple of recipes ..........

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/831443/icing-for-summer

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%