Pricing Up Cukcakes

Baking By Mojo1210 Updated 10 Jun 2016 , 11:01pm by Mojo1210

Mojo1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mojo1210 Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 8:16am
post #1 of 15

im just a hobby Baker one of my friends boyfriend has asked to make these. He would like 12 cupcakes in chocolate and plain. How much would u charge for 12 I'm all new to this help [postimage id="4154" thumb="900"]

14 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 15

All depends on ingredients and if you want to charge for your time.  With this much detail I would charge at least $2 per cupcake

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 15

That's covered in fondant and fondant toppers, at least $30.00-$36.00/ dozen.

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 15

$36/dozen for plain undecorated cupcake with buttercream 

Fondant toppers $.50 - $3 depending on complexity

So, $42-$72 depending on which cupcakes the customer wants

Also, my cupcakes are a minimum of 12 per flavor

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 15

I'm with hippiecac above.  Ditto to everything she said, but the detailed fondant 3-D figures (cat, hat, signs, etc.) add $3 for EACH decoration.  For the less involved fondant circles with tiny flowers, add $1 minimum per cupcake.

If you are new to this and can achieve that level of perfection (are those your cupcakes or a photo from online?), then those prices are appropriate since nobody else can make them.   If you cannot achieve that level of perfection, cut your prices in half. 

Since you are "new to this", chances are that the friend will be appalled at a quote of $75 for that exact dozen.  However, he's not paying for plain old cupcakes, he's paying for CUSTOM, art cupcakes made-to-order.  (In the UK, "bespoke" cupcakes.)

carolinecakes Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 15

@hippiecac ‍ just curious. What is your location? I'm in NY, where people have no problem paying $3.00 for a "gourmet" donut - made with a box mix btw, but when its a home based operation they gawk at paying $15.OO/doz (mini cupcakes). 

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 15

I'm in NJ and I cater to a higher end clientele. Everything is scratch, nothing artificial and I only use the best (Nielsen Massey Vanilla, etc.) ingredients. Lots of local people charge less, and the people who don't want to pay my prices aren't my target market anyway :) :) :) 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 15

i would charge about $10 each for a lot of those toppers plus the cost of the cupcake --the two signs and the flat cupcakes I'd just charge regular price -- 

i mean if someone wanted cupcakes with a bunch of signs like that I'd certainly upcharge  but I'd toss the signs in to this order due to the nearly obscene price I'm already charging for the others

i would not make all that mini stuff for three bucks each meself

carolinecakes Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 15

I also bake from scratch, all organic, nothing artificial, mostly for friends and family, this is my hobby and I love it. But I get tired of people telling me I should go into business and those same people look at me like I have 2 heads when I start explaining how much my cakes would cost them, to make it worthwhile for me. Thanks for the info. , we're practically neighbors, so it relates.  Maybe someday my adult daughter who helps me, might look into opening a business. I like the freedom being a hobbyist gives me. Besides I eat way too much cake for my own good smile.png

Mojo1210 Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 15

Arhh thanks for the help guys I'm in the UK. I'm just starting out so get stuck with this sort of stuff maybe add up ingredients and then work out what to put on as my time for making them??

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 15

time maybe -- but this is art and you should charge for that if you are selling it

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 15

but you should be able to make these efficiently

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 15

Mojo1210~~ If you are just starting out, start out correctly.  If you can't price things correctly, then don't sell them--just give them away as a hobby baker.    The baking and decorating is the EASY part; the pricing is the HARD part.  If you don't feel comfortable charging 53-60 BGP (British Pounds) or more for the dozen cupcakes above, then you are not selling them, you are doing it for fun and giving them away. 

There are literally 1,000's of pricing threads on CakeCentral.  If you are serious about selling, invest about 8 hours of online research about pricing.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 10:22pm
post #14 of 15

^^^ what apti said

Mojo1210 Posted 10 Jun 2016 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 15

Cheers will look them up on here x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%