Stormtrooper Cake Need Some Tips On How To.....

Decorating By babycakescakery Updated 23 May 2016 , 1:21am by babycakescakery

babycakescakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakescakery Posted 22 May 2016 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 6

Hello Fellow decorators,

needed some guidance on this cake i have this coming weekend,

its just the bottom layer of this cake. Has anyone done something similar to this ?

1. how to do the bottom bulge, would it just be a rolled fondant wrapped around the bottom then covered in white?

2. What would be the best way to cut out the mask? By covering with cornstarch then cover with white first then cut out when on top of the cake? cutting out  first seem easier but hard to attach to the cake

Any guidance is appreciated

Thank you!

Jessica

e65360b90a5da3d1f9c91802c168adbc.jpg

5 replies
carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 22 May 2016 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 6

This is how I would make it: The white mask is one piece

1. Make a paper template of the mask, place it on the outside of the cake pan you will be baking. Make sure it fits.

2. Roll out your white fondant, lay you template on the fondant and using an X-Acto knife cut out. Remember to leave about 1/4 inch excess at the bottom to allow for the bulge at the bottom.

3. Make black fondant logs, use your template to measure how long the logs have to be. Attach the logs to the bottom tier, again using the template as your guide for placement. Then place the white mask over the logs and bottom tier

Cutting Tip: glide your X-Acto knife into some shortening before cutting. Your cuts will be clean, no ragged edges.

Jessica Harris uses a wax paper technique to place fondant cutouts in perfect alignment. I think this would be useful here, so your fondant mask does not tear when you are attaching it to the cake. After you cut out the mask and the logs are in place, lightly brush a piece of waxed paper  with shortening. The waxed paper should be a little wider than your mask and lay that on your mask. Smooth gently over the waxed paper to adhere to the fondant, using edible glue or water brush the bottom tier and lift the waxed paper and starting at the bottom attach the mask to the cake, and peel off the waxed paper. Does that make sense? HTH

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 22 May 2016 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 6

Its German but I like his technique take a look.....

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 May 2016 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 6

I would make the bottom bulge by baking a cake layer 1 or 2" larger than the next one up.   In other words if you are making the larger/main part 10" round, then make a layer of cake 12" , trim/round the upper edge then cover it all as one.

babycakescakery Posted 23 May 2016 , 1:21am
post #5 of 6

Thank you for your detailed tips much appreciated!! i looked into jessica harris classes it very interesting and smart!

babycakescakery Posted 23 May 2016 , 1:21am
post #6 of 6

I was trying to find a video for it and you did! it was so helpful! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%