Least Bitter Pink Color

Decorating By kryptonite Updated 23 May 2016 , 5:36pm by kas2105

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 21 May 2016 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 5

I need to cover 2 tiers of a cake in bright pink buttercream. I know pink tends to be one of the more bitter colors, so I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with a particular shade. I have americolor soft pink, deep pink, and electric pink. I know they can all make a pretty bright pink, buuuut I have no sense of taste or smell (I know, I'm in the wrong field). Have any of you made bright pink that still tasted good? I'm willing to buy another color/brand if it works better than the ones I have. Thanks so much!! 

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2016 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 5

Well it's been several years now since I have used any but Americolor's pinks never tasted bitter to me.   It's reds and black etc that taste bitter.

Otherwise do you have an airbrush? You can make a lighter pink then airbrush it electric 

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 23 May 2016 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you kakeladi! I don't have an airbrush, but I will take your word that the americolor pinks don't lend a bad taste. I just know that when I could taste, I had some super bitter bright pink buttercream. Of course, that was years ago, and I have no idea what kind of coloring those people used. Thanks for reassuring me!

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 23 May 2016 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 5

I use Americolor all the time and have used the  pink, red, black and they did not taste bitter. And the red was on an all buttercream Elmo. Try it, just stay away from wilton. HTH

kas2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kas2105 Posted 23 May 2016 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 5

When I have to do a cake with a really dark color that might taste bitter and don't want to use the airbrush, I cover the cake with white buttercream like always, let it crust then put a very, very thin layer of the colored buttercream on top of the white with a small spatula. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%