Can You Freeze A Cake After Layering, Filling And Icing?

Baking By SoniaMT Updated 18 May 2016 , 12:23am by maybenot

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 16 May 2016 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 11

I have a crap load of cakes to make this month and very short handed. I was wondering if i could bake, fill, and crumb coat and pop it in the freezer until its time to decorate with fondant? If so, how much in advanced can i do so and how long would it take to come to room temp to be able to use fondant on it. Also. do i risk loosing moister? ANy tips? i have frozen a cake after baking but never have i done it after filling and crumb coat. I have kept it in the refrigerator with crumb coat for 2 days and it was fine. just not sure how it would hold up in the freezer and for how long. I appreciate all the help! 

10 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 May 2016 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 11

Absolutely! Make sure it's in a box and thrn tidely wrapped in cling film.

SoniaMT Posted 16 May 2016 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 11

Ok thanks! I didn't know i had to put it in a box. does the box need to be fully closed? Im scared i wont find a big enough box. I will definitely wrap it up in plastic wrap so it wont dry out! Ok this is great newss!!! Stress level went down a few notches. DO you know how long in advanced i can do this?  

julia1812 Posted 16 May 2016 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 11

You can use a cake box or even a moving/office box for a big/tiered cake. It has to be sealed off as good as possible because you don't want ice to form on your cake.

When you thAW the cake do NOT open the plastic wrap. There will be codensation on the outside when it comes to room temp. You don't want that condensation water to spoil your cake. So wait until it stops, wipe it off the cling film and only THEN cut open the box. Your cake inside will be fine.

julia1812 Posted 16 May 2016 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 11

I've frozen decorated cakes for 2 weeks. But not sure what the maximum would be you could freeze a cake...

SoniaMT Posted 16 May 2016 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 11

Oh ok thanks for the tip! 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 16 May 2016 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 11

Sure.  Box finished cake in cardboard box. Wrap box in several layers of saran wrap & a layer of foil.  Freeze.  24 hrs. b/4 serving, place wrapped box in fridge.  Several hours b/4 serving, place wrapped box on counter to come to room temp.  Right before display/serving, remove cake from box.  Box may be damp because that's where the condensation goes--instead of on the cake.  Cake will look like & taste like it was just made.

Properly boxed & wrapped, in a good freezer,  you could likely keep a cake for several months, easily.  I had a client who had to keep cakes frozen for 2 weeks and it worked perfectly.  Follow the directions EXACTLY.

SoniaMT Posted 16 May 2016 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 11

@maybenot ‍ Thanks!!!! Does this work for Fonant covered and deocrated cakes as well, with gumpaste decor on top?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 May 2016 , 12:25am
post #9 of 11

Kristen Coniaris has a great website WickedGoodies.  This page may give you some information that is useful.

http://www.wickedgoodies.net/2014/10/how-to-freeze-cake/

ps: I love her book.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 18 May 2016 , 12:23am
post #11 of 11

Quote by @SoniaMT on 1 day ago

@maybenot ‍ Thanks!!!! Does this work for Fonant covered and deocrated cakes as well, with gumpaste decor on top?

It works fine for fondant covered cakes & cakes with fondant decorations.  When I've had a gum paste deco, I've left that for application after the cake was defrosted.  The bow and 25 on the 25th cake is gum paste.  The red side decos on the 3 cakes is fondant, the flowers are gum paste. Both were handled the way that I've described.

Gina+bow+25th+cake.jpg

benison+cake_9+-+Copy.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%