3D Cake - Chalice Cup - Ideas For Construction

Decorating By cakedivanot Updated 16 May 2016 , 5:34pm by -K8memphis

cakedivanot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivanot Posted 16 May 2016 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 9

hi - i would like to make a 3D standing chalice cake for my son's first holy communion.  I am thinking of using a dolly varden tin for the bowl of the chalice.  the problem is what do i make the chalice stem from so that it supports the weight of the bowl?  was thinking of ricebubbles and marshmallow - but doubt it could withstand the weight.  Alternatively - i was thinking of sitting the bowl on a small cake board, and then sitting the cake board on a plastic pipe.  I will need a centre dowel, but how do i fix the dowl to the cake board? and will it all stay together.  would appreciate any ideas - I cannot seem to find a chalice cake on the net!  Is this not such a good idea = and should i just get a professional cake decorator to make my cake :-) 

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2016 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 9

i made one -- used acrylic set up -- used foam for chalice but it was rather large too --dashing out here but will be back and give more detail shortly...

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 16 May 2016 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 9

Here is link Doug is amazing. Pic and instrucrtions how to build the support for the cake. HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/584116/ideas-for-making-of-a-3d-upright-chalice

-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2016 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 9

doug is amazing -- 

however my idea is lazier [postimage id="3872" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2016 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 9

omg that posted so big and it ate my words\

doug is amazing -- 

however my idea is lazier smile.png

get two of these:

http://www.efavormart.com/acrylic-cake-stand-plates.aspx

and one of these:

http://www.efavormart.com/acrylic-cake-stand-tubes.aspx

then embed the larger bottom plate into some foam and cover top & bottom with foam core board -- both sides of larger plate covered securely so the plate cannot rock or move then the weight of the whole thing keeps it all secure -- the plates don't have to be the same size of course -- so the bottom plate is larger to offset the top heaviness -- this set up is very secure -- 

i covered a foam 'chalice' with candy clay and it was not spherical i kept it flattened then the bottom base of the chalice was a big fat 16" cake

i guess i'll post a picture -- it's not a perfect cake -- i've been dissed so much over the years i hate to post anything -- this was a free cake 

-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2016 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 9

*this set up is very secure with a cake placed on the bottom for stability -- 

carolinecakes Posted 16 May 2016 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 9

We all have different ideas, that's one the things I like about CC.

Those plates are on sale. A pic of your cake would help me visualize your method. BTW take a look at my chalice cake, talk about a mess, can't believe I posted that. Since then I have learned how to smooth buttercream......well mostly.

carolinecakes Posted 16 May 2016 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 9

OH , I just saw the pic, I get it. Your method the  base is the  cake.....and Doug's way the cake is the chalice cup ( the upper portion). Well now cakedivanot  has choices ....

-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2016 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 9

yes and she could do both too of course -- i woulda made the cup edible, maybe even round but just giving this clientelle a non-sheet cake was extreme for them -- hahahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%