Silicon Ice Cube Tray Can You......

Decorating By ibteana Updated 30 Jan 2007 , 7:40am by AnythingSugar

ibteana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibteana Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 7:38am
post #1 of 13

bake in them like a cake pan? Just had a thought that it would make the perfect size petifour. Has anyone tried it? Thanks

12 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 7:40am
post #2 of 13

I don't know if they are made to take the heat of baking.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:56am
post #3 of 13

I bought some of these ice cube molds at Kitchen Collection for molding chocolate or maybe fondant. I don't believe they are for baking purpose. Not at home right now, will check the packaging when I get home.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 13

They probably aren't labeled that they're safe for baking, because the thought never occurred to them that anybody would give it a shot! Every once in a while, you just have to jump off that cliff! If it looks and feels like the same stuff the silicone baking pans are made of, you're probably onto something! I'd put the tray on a cookie sheet to support it and catch the mess if they DON'T hold up. But, I'm bettting they will.

Great concept. Let us know how it goes.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 13

one package states, keep away from heat source and not dishwasher safe, the others I bought from another place, has nothing on the package, not even what the material is made of. Good luck
Crimsicle, hope it don't make a mess if it is not oven proof. You got more courage than I do icon_lol.gif

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 13

Target has some silicon heart ice cube trays--wondering if they'd work in the oven. If they did not, it would only be a buck for 2 trays.($spot item) Just don't want to deal with the smell.

Let us know if it works!

dianagreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianagreen Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 13

i bought some a while ago and it gave a temp range from 0 to 400 - so i would say give it a go and see what happens -- goodluclk

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 13

I know from making hard candies in silicone molds that they can take a lot of heat. But, if you're buying plastic, assuming they're silicone because they're soft...you definitely will have a mess on your hands. Anything silicone - and it should be labeled as such - should be fine.

louie750 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louie750 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 13

maybe try contacting the company? It's not just melting plastic I would worry about but if a silicon plastic, that isn't specifically intended for that purpose, is heated to high temps it may release a chemical residue, that would NOT be food safe.

ibteana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibteana Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 13

I think I will do a little searching on the net to see if I can find some that are made out of the same material that the heat safe ones are made of and contact the company. I think it would be perfect solution for petifours. Who knows if I get brave I might just go for it. I just dont want to breath any toxic fumes or kill my little chihuahuas with funky chemicals!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 7:57pm
post #11 of 13

hmm, I just bought the ones at target. I will have to look closer. I didn't realize they could release a non foodsafe chemical. I figured if they didn't melt they would be fine.

Oh well, at least I can make ice cubes I guess. I think they would be great for jigglers too.

louie750 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louie750 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 7:32am
post #12 of 13

I have the ones for target too. I've made some candy heart truffles. I think they turned out better than using an actual candy mold...no seams or excess on bottom. People swore that I didn't make them and that I just unwrapped them from a box that I brought! If they can be in the oven...that would be nice for petifours...let us know!!

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 7:40am
post #13 of 13

I will be interested to see how this turns out also. I just bought some silicone jell-o molds from Linens and Things tonight. They were on the clearance rack and they were fruit shaped. I bought them with the intention of using them for fondant molds. It would be great if this works in the oven.

Please keep us posted on this. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%