Industry Standards

Business By TerriEZFrost Updated 13 May 2016 , 2:08am by Pastrybaglady

TerriEZFrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriEZFrost Posted 12 May 2016 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 3

I am currently working on writing script for equipment for the cupcake decorating world.  Could someone be so kind as to tell me what the industry standards are for the following titles?  I apologize for my lack of knowledge but I am not a baker.

Is the person who decorators the cupcake called a decorator by themselves or their peers?  If not, what?

What is the novice decorator in a cupcake shop called intern, apprentice or ? by the industry?

What would be an average training time for someone to learn to pipe a cupcake that could be sold by a bakery or shop?

How long does it take a skilled decorator to frost 500 cupcakes?

And last one is a little strange but is there a name for the little dried pieces of frosting that come off the edges of the icing bucket and get scraped back into the mix?

Thanks to anyone who is willing to give me a hand with figuring out my questions. 

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 May 2016 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 3

I can only address one of your ?s - the last one.  Those dried little pieces of frosting are called *trash* and should NOT be mixed back into a bucket of icing.  

Training time would depend on the person.  Some learn fast others no so much.  

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 13 May 2016 , 2:08am
post #3 of 3

I can't say how long total if would take to frost 500 cupcakes, but it only takes seconds to pipe a simple swirl. Probably the most time might be spent refilling the pastry bag unless you use one of those gigantic bags that can hang over your shoulder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%