Wedding Cake Help!!

Baking By tinamarie124 Updated 11 May 2016 , 1:24pm by ropalma

tinamarie124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinamarie124 Posted 11 May 2016 , 4:05am
post #1 of 4

I am helping a friend out and doing her wedding cake this weekend. It is a last minute thing, as the original person doing the cake has cancelled . 

The cake she wants is a 4 tier cake,  with taller tiers than normal (6in instead of 4in tall)

I have only ever done a few wedding cakes, and I have always made my tiers with 2 2in layers. Stacked with milk shake straws and cake circles.

She says I should be able to use 3in pans, bake two layers, to make 6in tall tiers. Is this the correct method? I have never made 3in tall  layers before, or even baked in 3in pans. Also I am not sure how the support system would work? I thought it would be better to bake 3, 2in layers instead? 

Any tips or suggestions? I am panicking a little lol.

3 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 11 May 2016 , 4:21am
post #2 of 4

Stick with what you know, use the 2" and add an extra layer, hey more filling, yum! Not sure on the straws, somebody will advise.

vegecaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vegecaker Posted 11 May 2016 , 4:35am
post #3 of 4

I use bubble tea straws.  They are sturdier than regular milkshake straws.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 11 May 2016 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 4

If you are doing 6" that is a double barrel.  Usually you would do 2 3" cakes.  Put a board and support system between each cake as you stack.  This way you will also get more servings.  It would be ackward to cut a 6" piece of cake.

Here is a link to a double barrel

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Barrel+Tutorial+How+to+Stack+a+Cake&adlt=strict&view=detail&mid=F34752064B9C139E78E6F34752064B9C139E78E6&FORM=VRDGAR

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%