Problem With My Gel Coloring In My Butter Cream

Decorating By crystalw72 Updated 10 May 2016 , 6:19am by kas2105

crystalw72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalw72 Posted 9 May 2016 , 4:10am
post #1 of 7

I have not done a cake in Years and have been asked to do a Wedding cake  for a Family member . I decided to do a test run and it did not go well . I used the crusting butter cream and it was great . crusted perfect  until I put the Wilton gel coloring in. The cake needs to be a Royal purple . By the time I got enough Gel color to make it as dark as it needed to be  the Icing was way to soft and will not crust . so I can't smooth the cake or paint on it . Any Suggestions ? 

6 replies
rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 9 May 2016 , 4:51am
post #2 of 7

You might want to try coloring the icing while you are making it. Replace some of the liquid with the food coloring. Also, you might just want to do fondant. Dark colored icing will stain. 

crystalw72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalw72 Posted 9 May 2016 , 5:05am
post #3 of 7

I thought about fondant but I am old School and don't know if I can master it quick enough . The wedding is june 4th . if I do try it then I will have to make My own . the store bought taste nasty . that was another issue I had with the royal purple butter cream it tasted like soap from all of the  gel coloring .

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 9 May 2016 , 10:08am
post #4 of 7

Have you thought about starting with a lighter purple base then adding additional royal purple to get the deeper colour.  I recently had to make navy blue and started with royal blue, then added some navy to get the deeper colour.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 May 2016 , 11:30am
post #5 of 7

Try powder food colors instead of the gels.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 9 May 2016 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 7

I just made a deep purple cake this weekend and be aware that dark colors give the buttercream a funny taste.  I made the cake 4 layers so I could put most of the buttercream as a filling since it did not have any gel color so I could remove most of the dark buttercream as we served the cake.

kas2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kas2105 Posted 10 May 2016 , 6:19am
post #7 of 7

The town where I live and the one next to us both have royal purple as one of their school colors and somehow I always end up making several graduation cakes every summer. What I do is color the icing two days before I want to use it and then re-beat it before I use it. It always gets darker when it sits for a while. Then I cover the cake with white buttercream and put just a very thin layer of the purple over it so the taste of the purple isn't so noticeable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%