Buttercream Ruffles

Decorating By carolinecakes Updated 2 Jun 2016 , 8:32pm by carolinecakes

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 2:03am
post #1 of 21

Next month I will be making a First Communion Cake for a friend. The bottom tier is surrounded by ruffles, I have never made buttercream ruffles,  ( she does not want fondant) I have the ateco tip  070, and a few of questions.

Which buttercream should I use?  What consistency?  What angle should I hold the tip. Any do's and dont's I need to be aware of. I have time to practice. I saw a video and it looked like you do the entire row all in one motion, how difficult is this. Piping bag in one hand, turning table with the other, should I go slow ..... fast....if I mess up can I scrape it off and redo? TIA

[postimage id="3584" thumb="900"]

20 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 2:29am
post #2 of 21

Start at the bottom and hold the tip thin end out at about a 45 degree angle. You should practice first, use a cake pan or a styrofoam dummy. the hardest part of buttercream ruffles is keeping them going and not ending up with edges on the ruffles where you stop and start.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 7:14am
post #3 of 21

yes and be sure to attach them well so they don't slip/fall off -- it's easy to get caught up in the momentum of the ruffle making and forget to focus on securely sticking them on at the same time --

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 21
Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 21

And make sure there aren't any powdered sugar lumps in your buttercream...

carolinecakes Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 3:06am
post #6 of 21

Thank you everyone, I will give it a go tomorrow, I figure if I practice 15/20 mins. everyday I should get a the hang of it.

carolinecakes Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 21

I've been practicing, managed to go all the way around......most times without messing up, still need to get the ruffles more uniform......slow and steady seems to be mode. How do you end a row neatly, when you get to end of the row? I have been using a paintbrush and water to neaten the join, is there another way? I'm having trouble posting pics, I will try again.

carolinecakes Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 21

[postimage id="3608" thumb="900"]

carolinecakes Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 21

[postimage id="3609" thumb="900"]

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 21

Try to anticipate where you need to end.  When you start leave just a bit of the starting ruffle unattached/away from the cake so you can tuck the end under it.  Really, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If you look carefully at the pic you are trying to 'copy' - look closely at the 2nd ruffle from the top and probably the one below it - there seems to be a bit of untidyness to it.  And if it is really too much for you there is always the possibility of hiding it w/some flowers or other decoration.

carolinecakes Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 21

@Unlimited thanks for the video but I really like this 070 tip, it does all the work for you, and I like the ruffles it makes. Just a personal preference.

@kakeladi ‍ thanks I will try that tomorrow. CC forums have been a pain to get on today so I really appreciate the response.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 21

looking good

carolinecakes Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 12:26am
post #13 of 21

Thanks K8 now I just have to remember to breathe.......... while I squeeze the bag and turn the table. lol

kakeladi Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 4:30am
post #14 of 21

If the creator of that cake ever reads this I sure hope I didn't upset them w/my comment. It might just be the way/angle at which the pic is taken.  It overall is a very nice cake and I'm sure no one else noticed if that is a 'hitch' in the overall pattern:)

carolinecakes Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 2:42pm
post #15 of 21

Thank you all for your help, it is not as perfect as I would have liked, but everyone loved it and the cake was all gone, no leftovers.

[postimage id="4051" thumb="900"]

kakeladi Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 6:14pm
post #16 of 21

.......not as perfect as I would have liked, but everyone loved it ..............

To us our cakes seldom are :)  It is really nice.  Love that cross topper.  

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 6:59pm
post #17 of 21

it's beautiful 

carolinecakes Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:00pm
post #18 of 21

Thank you, yes that's so true. I am happy with my Cross topper. The first time I stepped into a cake decorater store, I just about lost my mind. Bought so much stuff, that was 4 years ago. I finally got to use that mold, it's a brooch and I decided to use it to build the cross.

I made a deal with myself not to buy any more cake stuff, once my storage area was full. Guess what ,,,,..it's over crowded !!!!!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:13pm
post #19 of 21

Oh Good Grief--that is a GORGEOUS CAKE!  @Carolinecakes, quit going for 'perfect' and just concentrate on taking all the compliments with a nice 'thank you' instead of worrying about the areas that need improvement (in your opinion).  Additionally, I formally forbid you from saying anything negative about that cake.  It really is beautiful.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:22pm
post #20 of 21

^^^ what she said  clap.png

and great story about the making of the cross -- brilliant

carolinecakes Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 8:32pm
post #21 of 21

Thank you so very much for your kind words and compliments!!!!

I could not have done it without the wonderful people on CC who are always sharing their knowledge and giving great support .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%