Preparing Layer Cakes

Decorating By Gmomof2 Updated 11 Apr 2016 , 6:19pm by Gmomof2

Gmomof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gmomof2 Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 6

Besides making the cake bigger what is the point of slicing anf filling each layer before building  tears

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 6

You mean when you torte the cake so that there are thinner layers and more filling layers? A few reasons. It looks nice when you cut it, you have more fillings so you can do more than one filling flavor if you want to, and with more filling people tend to complain less that the cake was dry, if the cake is dry ;)  I'll torte cakes and do two layers of one flavor filling and one of the other to make it more interesting.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 6

@Gmomof2 ‍ when I'm covering a cake with fondant, and there will not be the lovely outer coating of lots of buttercream;

that's when I torte and add the extra layers of buttercream inside of the cake.  Then if they peel off the fondant they still have a nice perportion of cake and icing.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 6

spelling sorry-- proportion.  (wouldn't let me edit)

SimplyIcedCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIcedCC Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 6

Torting and filling the cake allows everyone to have the right proportion of cake to filling/icing as MBalaska has stated.  Also, it makes the cake look better imho :)

Gmomof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gmomof2 Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 6

This is my first time in the forum and  I want to say thank s for the quick replies (and for not commenting on my misspelling of the word  tiers).  I'm a home baker and I never know the term for this was torting.  For years I've seen this being done but never tried it.   I will do this with my next cake and am looking forward to the responses I get from family and friends.  Now I know where to go for answers.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%