Gumpaste/fondant

Decorating By Dabest Updated 6 Apr 2016 , 8:28am by Dabest

Dabest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dabest Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 8

Opinions please on making flowers with straight gumpaste or a gumpaste/fondant mix? All I've worked with is straight gumpaste but I've been seeing some tutorials using the mixture. Would really appreciate any pros/cons as I am making my son's wedding cake in July with peonies, roses and hydrangeas. Thank you!

7 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 8

Suggestion:  Make some flowers with the mix NOW, months before the wedding and see what you think.  Since sugar flowers are rarely (if ever) actually eaten and removed from the cake before serving, make the flowers that form and hold up the best.

If your current all gumpaste flowers are working, don't fix what isn't broken.

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 8

I second what Apti said, good advice.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 12:09am
post #4 of 8

The only benefit you'll get from using the mixture is a longer working time because of the glycerine in the fondant. I agree that if you like your gumpaste stick with it.

Dabest Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 1:27am
post #5 of 8

Thank you all! I like working with gumpaste just fine, but I guess I don't work fast enough sometimes and it starts to harden so I was wondering if anybody had worked with the 50/50 and if I would have a longer time to work before that started. Also, I was wondering how the flowers set up? Thanks again for your feedback!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 1:54am
post #6 of 8

You should only be working with one piece of gumpaste at a time, and keeping the rest of it secured in an airtight container, or in a gumpaste storage board like Wilton sells, or in a big ziplock bag with the air pushed out.  By doing this you can work with each petal of regular gumpaste as needed.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 4:10am
post #7 of 8

And use crisco when you knead it and not corn starch. That makes it dry out faster.

Dabest Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 8:28am
post #8 of 8

Will do! Thank you so much for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%