Poke Cake Info.

Baking By pupplepup Updated 26 Mar 2016 , 9:29pm by kakeladi

pupplepup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupplepup Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 2

I'm interested in Poke Cakes. I've noticed  three different types of "poke" filling being used. Gelatin, instant pudding and sweetened condensed milk. I don't understand the milk. What does that do? It doesn't thicken. I would guess it turns the cake to mush. Can anyone explain the milk part to me?

Also, my first attempt at using instant pudding didn't turn out too good. The pudding got thick and I couldn't get it into the holes fast enough. My idea is to use a ketchup squeeze bottle and squirt the pudding into each hole. This way, it doesn't matter if it gets thick. I found a 24 oz. bottle which I can add the pudding and 2 cups milk, shake and squirt. Comments. Any better ideas?

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 2

Your idea of the squeeze bottle is fine.  I just put it in my piping bag w/a large round tip (#12?) and poke it into the cake.  No pre-made holes needed.  Then once you are finished gently but firmly press down all over the cake to spread it better.  Maybe put a cookie sheet on top so it gets even pressure.    The evap milk is a Mexican "3 Milks" cake.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%