Need Help With Batter And Cooking Times

Baking By IRUNINCIRCLES Updated 23 Mar 2016 , 5:54pm by IRUNINCIRCLES

IRUNINCIRCLES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IRUNINCIRCLES Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!

i wrote this recipe down and have been using it for a long time for standard 8" rounds. I'm working on a two tier cake with 2" tall pans. How can I determine the batter amount needed and cooking times for a 6" and 9" round? Recipe below.

1 cake mix

4 egg whites

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup veg oil

1pkg pudding mix

1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350. Add ingredients by order listed, mixing thoroughly on low after each. Bake 30-35 minutes.

2 replies
kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 3

Since you use this recipe to make 2 8 inch layers, I assume it makes approximately 8 cups of batter. I figured this because a standard 8" pan has an approximate volume of 4 cups.

A 6" pan has an approximate volume of 2 cups and a 9" has an approximate volume of 6 cups, so you need 16 cups of batter (assuming you are doing 2 layers per tier). If the above recipe makes approximately 8 cups of batter then you need to double it.

As far as baking times go, I bake my 6" cakes at 350 for 20-25 min and 9" around 35 to 40 minutes, but it can vary by recipe... Just make sure you keep an eye on the cakes and check them with a toothpick or "push" test for doneness. 

IRUNINCIRCLES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IRUNINCIRCLES Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks!! I just can't get my head to wrap around the math sometimes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%