1/2 Sheet Or Full Sheet?

Baking By kbillmeyer Updated 23 Mar 2016 , 8:58pm by leah_s

kbillmeyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbillmeyer Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 8

I have a cake pan that says it's a half sheet pan (13x18).  as of right now, I use box cake mixes, (betty crocker).  My question is, how many box mixes do I use to get a proper cake out of that pan?  any tricks to getting it out without it splitting?  I'm a beginner here and would love any advice anyone can give me.  Also, how many servings does this pan make?  Thanks in advance!!!

7 replies
SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 8

You will need 2 boxes to fill your pan. I always spray the bottom of my pan with non-stick spray, put down a piece of parchment and spray again. You will need a heating core (I use two flower nails) so the middle of the cake cooks through. When the cake comes out I slide my small spatula along the sides to make sure it isn't sticking. I use a half sheet cake board or my cooling rack to flip it upside down. As far as servings, well that depends on how you will cut it and if it will be torted and filled. If it's torted and filled, you'd probably cut them a bit smaller, as the cake will be higher. You could get about 50 servings. If it's not filled, you'd probably cut it into 2"x2" pieces in which case you could get about 70 pieces.

SandraDee73 Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 8

And don't panic if it splits...put a little frosting where it broke and "glue" it back together. Once it's frosted you won't even be able to tell!

SandraDee73 Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 8

You can use 3 boxes as well, depends on how high you want your cake. If you're going to torte it and fill it, you might want to go with 3 boxes so your layers aren't too thin.

kbillmeyer Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 8

How do I use the flower nails?  Never heard this trick.  I think I have 2 of those, if they're the same thing you're talking about.

SandraDee73 Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 8

They're metal and have a flat wide round end (where you would pipe your flower) and a thin metal rod that's about an inch long (where you would hold it while you pipe your flower). It sort of looks like a nail where the head is REALLY wide. To use it as a heating core, you flip the flower nails upside down so the flat round top is on the bottom of the pan with the rod sticking up. This allows the cake to bake evenly in the center.

kbillmeyer Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 8

Perfect!  I understand completely!!  And I was thinking that's how you'd use them for a heating core, just wanted to double check :-)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 8

And yes, that's a half sheet 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%