Extruder?

Decorating By jellybeanlane Updated 23 Mar 2016 , 5:53am by jellybeanlane

jellybeanlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanlane Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, I've never used an extruder to make nice rope out of fondant and I have been looking at several types and wondered if those that have used them preferred the push ones that looks like a syringe or turn handle ones? Or if there are even a third type I've not seen? I want the easiest but best overall quality in look it produces.... thank you so very much!

Jellybean :0)

6 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 7

I have the cheap push one.  I think I got it at JoAnns, with a coupon, for $5.  It works fine, as long as you add shortening to your fondant so that it is VERY soft.  However, if you have any sort of issues with your hands, go for the crank one, especially of you plan on using it a lot.  

jellybeanlane Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 3:00am
post #3 of 7

@Jinkies ‍ thank you so much :)

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 7:28am
post #4 of 7

I bought a push one and it really hurt my hands, I then bought the Makins Clay Extruder the green one and I love it.

jellybeanlane Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 7

@810whitechoc ‍ thank you I have issues with my hands at times.... :)

Cali6422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cali6422 Posted 21 Mar 2016 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 7

I have a large extruder that I wouldn't trade for anything!  Initially I hesitated because it was a little pricey, but the time (and hand) savings has been well worth it.

www.polymerclayexpress.com/products/artway-tools/Extruders/food-safe-extruders.

I'm not sure if this site accepts links ... If the link didn't show up, try googling Polymer Clay Express.  That's where I got my food safe extruder.

jellybeanlane Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 5:53am
post #7 of 7

Thank you @Cali6422 ‍ I got mine today and I will be making my granddaughters purse cake tomorrow... I appreciate all of the help guys, Ill post a pic on Friday!

Jellybean :0)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%