Tiered Cakes

Baking By sweetcake14 Updated 21 Mar 2016 , 11:32am by costumeczar

sweetcake14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcake14 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 3:42am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone.

Have you ever had a problem with a tiered cake leaning or falling?

I have made tiered cakes befor. I use wooden dowels , but yesterday I had an order of a   2 tier cake and in the morning of delivery it looked like it leaned on side but I didn't know how to fix that . they recieved it but said nothing aince then  and I'm thinking about it I 'm afraid that it had fallen on site.

Still waiting to hear fromthem, I'm afraid to ask 

Have you ever have problems with tiered cakes while using wooden dowels?

5 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 5:08am
post #2 of 6

Sorry that happened to you!  I think if I would have noticed it is leaning to one side before delivery I would remove the top tier and replace new dowels. Did you cut all dowels to the same length? How big was the cake and how many dowels did you use? I prefer 5 instead of 4 no matter how small in case one fails.

Let's hope it survived!

sweetcake14 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 5:50am
post #3 of 6

Thank you for your reply and nice wish ....

I attached a photo

You can see what happened on the right side.

The lower tier was 9" and the upper was 8 but quiet heavy .

I use wooden dowels that are about 1/4 inch in diameter so I use many of them for extra support. I couldn't find bigger size around.

I also removed the top tier and placed 2 more dowels before delivery[postimage id="3216" thumb="900"]

sweetcake14 Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 6

The client responded to me today saying thank you for the amzing cake great taste and look ...

I'm sooo happy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 6

I had no problems once I switch to SPS as my support system.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Mar 2016 , 11:32am
post #6 of 6

It sounds like you might have used too many dowels. For something to support an 8" tier I'd only put 5 at the most in the tier below it. If the dowels are cut level with each other and placed straight up and down in the cake there shouldn't be a problem. I'm glad it worked out, that's the worst feeling when you think something might have gone wrong but you don't know...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%