Friday Night Cake Club For 3/18/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 21 Mar 2016 , 12:08am by Marian64

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 3:16am
post #1 of 28

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work. ask for help if needed or provide help if they can! Hope to see some great cakes!

Cat

27 replies
catlharper Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 3:20am
post #2 of 28

Hi everyone!

Vacation was wonderful! We drove down on Sunday, had dinner at Universal City Walk at the Hard Rock and it was there that we kicked off a series of Birthday Dinner's for our son.  Monday we toured downtown Los Angeles and were dazzled by the modern Disney Concert Hall and the turn of the century Ace Hotel among other things. Tues and Weds we spent our days at Disneyland just having lots of fun as a family and then Thursday, after on last wonderful morning in Downtown Disney, we finally drove home. Our son won't forget this birthday trip any time soon.  Mind you, his real birthday isn't till the end of April but this was the time we figured we could all take a family vacation so it worked out to celebrate now. He will still have a family party in April but on a much smaller scale!

Hope you all had a great week! Can't wait to see what you came up with!

Cat

GeminiBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiBaker Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 3:34am
post #3 of 28

[postimage id="3190" thumb="900"]

This was a cake that I did for a foster/shelter child as a volunteer. First time with modeling chocolate which I made myself. 

catlharper Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 3:41am
post #4 of 28

awww...SO cute! I love the little faces! @GeminiBaker ‍ 

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 3:59am
post #5 of 28
kstevens Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 4:16am
post #6 of 28
kstevens Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 4:18am
post #7 of 28

I have stuff to post but looks like the site is having issues tonight and after all my typing (for a second time) I give up :-(

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 4:24am
post #8 of 28

[postimage id="3195" thumb="900"]

julia1812 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 4:26am
post #9 of 28

[postimage id="3196" thumb="900"]

[postimage id="3197" thumb="900"]

[postimage id="3198" thumb="900"]

julia1812 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 4:35am
post #10 of 28

OMG...Am finally able to upload pictures! Yippee

julia1812 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 4:36am
post #11 of 28

So these are cakes from 2 weeks ago. The first one is a lego cake. I which I would have used ganache to get sharper edges! The second one was an order for a pizza birthday party. I made a swiss roll ice cream. Chocolate swiss roll filled with whipped cream and strawberry puree and the inside was layers of vanilla ice cream, homemade chocolate fudge and thin slices of fresh strawberries.  Only realised when releasing from tin that I places swiss roll slices the wrong way. Very disappointed! The chef topper went on top of the swiss roll ice cream cake (had to deliver separate as they didn't have enough freezer space). Then chocolate cupcakes with mint choc chip smbc and fondant pizza toppers.

julia1812 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 4:38am
post #12 of 28

[postimage id="3203" thumb="900"]

julia1812 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 4:39am
post #13 of 28

[postimage id="3204" thumb="900"]

julia1812 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 5:00am
post #14 of 28

And the last order was a princess castle and princess themed cupcakes 

[postimage id="3209" thumb="900"]

julia1812 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 5:03am
post #15 of 28

@catlharper am so jealous of you! I can't wait for the holidays to start!!! The weekend after those orders I went to the CASA swimming gala with my son (got a silver medal yeah!) and right now am working on another three orders and it's teakwondo belt test for my son. Am exhausted LOL!

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 10:09am
post #16 of 28

@catlharper ‍sounds like a great vacation.

@GeminiBaker ‍ love the bright colors it is such a cute cake.

@julia1812 ‍ that chef is adorable and I bet the cake was delicious. And I am sure that castle cake and cupcakes made some little girl happy.

I should be posting my cake on cake wrecks. If it could go wrong it did. I made a cake for a co-worker's baby shower. The icing was thin, I had no room in my refrigerator, and between the bus ride and then walking a block. I just wish I had taken a picture before, but I was so tired when it got finished. On the bright side the cake pops turned out okay; although, some of the sticks weren't so straight. Thanks @SweetShop5 ‍ for the tips. 

Can't wait to see what everyone else has baked this week.

[postimage id="3220" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 2:01pm
post #17 of 28

[postimage id="3221" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 2:01pm
post #18 of 28

[postimage id="3222" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 2:26pm
post #19 of 28

@julia1812 all your stuff looks great, especially that chef! Seeing you were finally able to post pictures I thought I'd give it another try. Seems one photo at a time with no text does the trick.

I tried out a new cupcake recipe this week for St. Patrick's day. They aren't fancy to look at but they were soooo good!  They were (chocolate) stout cupcakes with a Jameson whiskey ganache center and topped with Bailey's Irish Cream frosting. 

Inspiration for the shamrock sugar cookies came from one I saw online by Funky Cookie Studio that was based on artwork by Art on Artesia. The cookie cutter I had was a bit small so I dug out a kit that someone had given me & made my own :-)  Made me little more proud of the cookies.

@GeminiBaker love the bright colors and @Marian64 your cake pops are cute. Too bad they aren't right side up.

Cat, glad to hear you had a nice vacation :-)

Marian64 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 4:19pm
post #20 of 28

@kstevens ‍ I love your shamrock cookies. I have made those cupcakes last year and the year before for St. Paddy's day, but since I was baking for the shower. They had to settle for cake.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 6:10pm
post #21 of 28

Macarons on Cake Central

Lego Cake on Cake Central

Pastrybaglady Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 6:16pm
post #22 of 28

Okay so you can either post text or pictures but not at the same time... got it.

The macarons were strawberry, chocolate and lime.  The lego cake is self-explanatory.  

I had a couple of other order but they were either blah or yuck.  The blah was minecraft lettering on grass, so neutral and boring. The yuck was because I hated the color scheme.  Pink whoopie pies with green filling and purple and yellow sprinkles?  No one needs to see that!

Pastrybaglady Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 6:18pm
post #23 of 28

Oh, I forgot!  @julia1812 ‍ Gotta give you major love for the pizza toppers and Italian chef and the castle cake and toppers are just breathtaking!  Outstanding work!

kstevens Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 11:05pm
post #24 of 28

@Marion64 thanks for the compliment on my cookies.

@Pastrybaglady thanks for the laugh as you cracked me up with the comment on your whoopie pies.  Your macaroons look perfect!

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 10:10am
post #25 of 28

those cupcakes sound wonderful - would you mind sharing the recipe?

kstevens Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 12:22pm
post #26 of 28

The recipe I used was by Brown eyed Baker.  The only change I made was to use semisweet chocolate for the ganache instead of bittersweet.  Here is the link:

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/irish-car-bomb-cupcakes/

Hope you enjoy :-)

catlharper Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 6:20pm
post #27 of 28

Hi everyone! This has been on whirlwind week for us! Most of it good, some of it really bad but really, really busy! But today is my day off so I finally have some time to come in here and say HI! 

@kstevens ‍ SO happy you were finally able to post your photos!!! I simply adore the shamrock cookies!

@julia1812 ‍ I love all of your creations but the pizzas and the chef are my hands down favorites! That chef is just perfection!

@Marian64 ‍ Awww...I feel SO badly for you! We've all had those cakes...the ones we wish we could forget! The cake pops ARE very cute tho'!

@Pastrybaglady ‍ LOL...you crack me up! But your macarons are gorgeous, as always. Not sure how you do it since mine always turn out horrid (looking but apparentl not tasting since my son happily eats all of the evidence from my crime) and yours always turn out looking amazing! LEGO cakes are fun and I wish I had more reason to make them more often but they are just not as popular as minecraft. (UGH...minecraft). 

As I said, the vacation was wonderful. I'm starting to get the photos up on Instagram (shutterbugtraveler for those who want to follow). But I came back to regular busy life and am still trying to catch my breath. In order to play baseball on Saturday our son had to go to school on Friday so we got in near midnight and I was back up the next morning at 645 to get the kids going.  Then it was off to work. When I got home I found out that a long time friend (someone my kids call "Aunt" and her kids call me "Aunt") didn't have a good day at the dr's where she found out she needs a triple bi-pass. She's 49! So tomorrow night I get off work and my daughter and I will be driving to Sacramento to be with my friends kids while they wait to see how it all turns out at the hospital. If you are the praying type please send one up for Pam? 

Saturday began at 645 again for me to get my son on the bus for his games and then we drove to his games about 45 mins away to see him have a banner day. He's on the Freshman team which are notoriously known for being bad but HE had a great day. He's the only one who scored by hitting a double, then stealing 3rd and when the other team overthrew the attempt to get him out at 3rd he then stole home. He played center field and got 5 outs as well. So great day for him but not for his team who lost 11-1. After the game we came home and I made dinner for us all before heading to work till 10pm. So you can see why I'm so tired! LOL! Today only had laundry on the docket tho' so it's, mostly, a lovely lazy day!

This week brings an Easter cake...I have NO idea what the design is going to be, just that it needs to be on the table for dinner on Sunday! LOL!  

Have a GREAT week!

Cat

Marian64 Posted 21 Mar 2016 , 12:08am
post #28 of 28

@catlharper ‍ will be praying for your friend Pam and her family. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%