Holding A Cake Decorating Class

Business By kendrascountry Updated 15 Feb 2016 , 9:18pm by cakedout

kendrascountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendrascountry Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 9

I have recently been asked to host a cake decorating class, but have no idea how to charge for that, does anyone have any suggestions for pricing. We are hosting about 15 people. Please let me know! Thanks! Kendra

8 replies
jellybeanlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanlane Posted 10 Feb 2016 , 1:09am
post #2 of 9

I think I would price what the cost for materials is for 20 ppl in case someone brings a friend and divide that amount between them plus an amount for gas mileage and no more than 40 for time you don't want it to be too expensive so for example if materials costs 80 and it's 20 miles I'd charge 20 per person... just an estimate hope it helps just make sure your materials are covered and they understand its non refundable if they cancel

kendrascountry Posted 10 Feb 2016 , 3:40am
post #3 of 9

Thank you Jellybeanlane for your reply, it was quite helpful! :)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Feb 2016 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 9

Greetings @kendrascountry ‍! I'm not clear if you're volunteering to help someone or if you want to professionally teach cake decorating. Being asked to "host a decorating class" sounds more like hosting a party and is different from "holding a decorating class." If you're helping out, I suggest you keep the fee to a minimum and bundle cost of materials with any other incidentals.

If, however, teaching a class is a professional endeavor, treat it as such. It can be a rewarding and financially viable way to earn a part-time income, and raises the professional level of your business. How much you charge depends upon the length of your class, and your professional ability. For a starting point, look at pricing for adult ed classes in your community. A materials fee is usually separate. Charge at least as much as these programs, preferably more. I teach through several regional adult ed programs. Some have hired me, so I'm an employee and receive the standard hourly rate for teachers. For a couple other programs, I am a guest instructor and set my own rate.

Good luck!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 9

jellybeanlane pretty much described how I figured the costs of my classes....with a bit more for advertising thrown in!  :)  I mostly taught classes at my bakery (and a 1x a year for an adult ed program) and charged an average of $25 -$40 per person depending on which course it was.  I also sold supplies, so I made out on retail sales as well. 

I loved teaching and would love to try it again....but I am now 'retired' from caking and have moved to a smaller home that leaves no room for classes.  Perhaps if I ever find a free or really cheap location....!  :)

amartin1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amartin1900 Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 9

I have considered teaching too. But the thought of buying 15- $40 cake stands hold me back. Would this be a seperate retail charge? As in bring your own? 

jellybeanlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanlane Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 9

well this is one thing you could do, start with small things such as piping and making roses etc. in the first class or so then get everyone to get their own cake stand they will need it at home anyway lol...

I would love to have a baking class here, I just moved here a few months ago and I don't know anyone :(

kendrascountry Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 9

Wonderful! I will start with costs of materials. Thank you all for all of your input :) We appreciate it very much!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @amartin1900 on 3 days ago

I have considered teaching too. But the thought of buying 15- $40 cake stands hold me back. Would this be a seperate retail charge? As in bring your own? 

I created a supply list for each class level, and once a student has registered (and paid) for the class, I sent them the supply list and they were responsible for bringing their own stuff.  I did have some things available since I had a small retail shop, but it was very limited.

When I took professional classes/workshops the teacher sometimes supplied certain items, but those were worked into the cost of the class - which was often over $100!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%