Newbie Here, Wanting To Talk Cakes!! :-)

Baking By MrsGab24 Updated 17 Feb 2016 , 3:28am by kakeladi

MrsGab24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsGab24 Posted 8 Feb 2016 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 9

Hello All,

So I have always loved to bake and decorate and am looking to branch out from box cake mixes. I am interested in knowing what type of cakes are best for making tiered cakes.  I would also like to know what types of cake I can use with a sugar syrup to keep it moist. Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated. 

8 replies
shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 8 Feb 2016 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 9

Most any kind would be good. Maybe try with a butter cake, white or yellow. I'd suggest checking out "The Cake Bible" or a similar book

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 8 Feb 2016 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 9

Most any kind would be good. Maybe try with a butter cake, white or yellow. I'd suggest checking out "The Cake Bible" or a similar book

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 12:00am
post #4 of 9

Personally I never had any luck with scratch recipes.  Baked right a box mix can be *VERY* moist and tender.  Have you tried my *original* WASC recipe?  Be sure to read the whole post as there are lots of helpful hints in the comments  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Using this recipe you will get a nice, moist wonderful cake without having to use simple syrup.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 5:43am
post #5 of 9

Personally I don't like box mixes as they have a weired artificial taste. I've done all sorts of cakes from scratch. There isn't such thing as THE cake for a tiered cake, you can use any. Most important is to have a variety of tested cakes a bride/ customer can choose from...taste are different.  Best is you start with 2 or three recipes (am sure you find plenty on the Internet) and bake them in different pans/sizes to see how they turn out. I use syrup on about half of my cakes, depending on filling etc.

MrsGab24 Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, I have run across that and added it to my "try" list. Thanks 

MrsGab24 Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you for your reply! It seems some people would say "this type "of cake is best for tiered cakes over "this one", so I was just curious. I have made a cake from a box mix before and it was too moist, I put it in the freezer for a bit and was then able to work with it. So I guess any cake would do if I have that as an option. Again, thanks!

MrsGab24 Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 9

kakeladi I am trying the recipe mentioned as I type. I am using 8 in rounds and it seems one side of the cake I mistakenly overbaked. (making red velvet) Since it seems it would be dry now because I overbaked, could I add simple syrup to the layers? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 3:28am
post #9 of 9

I doubt it ended up being dry but yes, you could use simple syrup.  However, once a cake is overbaked it looses it's flavor and nothing will restore that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%