Parchment Round Help

Baking By mymamacakes Updated 5 Feb 2016 , 11:10pm by MBalaska

mymamacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymamacakes Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 9

If I use a parchment round at the bottom of my cake pans, do I also need to grease?  What about the sides?

I read that a ton of people grease AND use parchment....and that seems strange to me, like it negates the purpose of the parchment.  

I've never used parchment in baking, so please help!

8 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 9

I grease my pans with shortening and then put parchment on the bottom and the sides. The grease/ shortening makes the parchment stick to the pan especially on the sides. Otherwise the paper might bend and get in the way of the cake when it's raising or even get trapped in the batter.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 9

I put parchment on the bottom and don't grease the pans at all, not the sides either, so it works both ways.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 9

i have a brilliant cake friend who never washes her cake pans and she uses waxed paper to line them just lays it in the pan and forms it around to fit with her hands --

i do it like cc does parchment on the bottom no greasing -- for layer cakes anyhow

mymamacakes Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 9

Quote by @costumeczar on 5 days ago

I put parchment on the bottom and don't grease the pans at all, not the sides either, so it works both ways.

This is what I want to do.  I want to put a parchment round at the bottom of my dry pan, pour in my batter, and bake.  Your cake doesn't stick to the sides??

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 9

I, too, only use parchment paper. Yes, cakes stick to the pan sides. But that should not be a problem. Let the cake cool to room temp and before de-panning, run a knife around the inside perimeter between the cake and the pan. It should come out with no problem.

mymamacakes Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks Mimi!!!  I'm gonna try it tonight, I think.   So----paper down, pour in batter, bake, cool, run knife, flip out?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 1:39am
post #8 of 9

I think you'll enjoy the ease of baking with parchment liners. Have fun!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 9

I cut parchment circles from my half sheet sized parchment sheets.  I don't make lot's of cake's of course so it's the cheapest and easiest way to do it for me.  I use parchment for so many kinds of baking.  I put the parchment circles on the bottom's of the pans, and with the long baking time of the mud cake I put them on the bottom and the sides.  With a parchment circle on the bottom you never have to worry about the cake sticking and not coming out of the pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%