Fda Issues Advisory Regarding Use Of Disco Dust & Other Non-Toxic Dusts Directly On Food

Decorating By maybenot Updated 17 Jan 2016 , 9:34pm by Apti

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 4:29am
post #1 of 9

Yes, yes, this is an old chestnut, but sadly, the use of disco dust directly on foods remains a constant in the decorating industry.

As of today, 1/15/2016, the FDA has issued a formal advisory regarding the use of non-toxic, inedible dusts directly on food. 

The agency clearly states that a non-toxic product  is for use ONLY on decorations that will be removed  AND that if a producer puts such a product directly on food, that producer can be subject to an enforcement action. 

This should suffice to disabuse decorators of the myth that putting disco dust directly on food is an "option" or a choice.

Please pass the link and/or information on to others--clients, bakers, decorators, etc.

http://www.fda.gov/food/ingredientspackaginglabeling/foodadditivesingredients/ucm481466.htm

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 11:44am
post #2 of 9

yes! thanks for posting maybenot

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 9

excellent, passing this along...

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 9

Funny you should post this today.  I was just watching the kids baking championship with my daughter last night. It's the one hosted by Duff.  The kids were putting what they were calling "edible disco dust" all over their cakes.  One put it all over the fondant and the other was putting it all over a buttercream cake (which they all were eating at the end of the show).

I was kinda floored that Duff didn't realize it wasn't edible.  I'm not aware of any "disco dust" that is edible but maybe I'm wrong.  

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 9

I just watched that same episode last night with the sparkles on top of the cakes. I was thinking it was crystalized  colored sugar but then again I only saw part of that episode so maybe I missed it where they showed it being edible disco dust.  If it was disco dust I am also surprised that Duff would not say anything about it.

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 9

Yeah, they were actually calling it "edible disco dust" and one was applying it with a paint brush.  I don't know, maybe they just called it the wrong name....

I thought it was very odd.

maybenot Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 8:30am
post #7 of 9

It's no surprise to me, sadly.  Duff has been using the stuff for years and calling it edible--and Buddy does the same thing.  That's how this stuff keeps going around and why so

many people don't want to believe the truth.  Lots of small, online shops also refer to it as "edible glitter".  Hopefully this FDA advisory will tamp things down.

Sad
maybenot Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 8:32am
post #8 of 9
Sadly, I'm not the least bit surprised.  Duff and Buddy have both described disco dust as "edible".  Smaller online sellers also call it "edible glitter".  Hopefully this FDA advisory will tamp things down a bit--if enough people pass the information along.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for posting, Maybenot

I've found a great use for the NON-edible disco dust in the back of my cake closet; it works just great as decorative glitter for polymer clay!   

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%