Friday Night Cake Club For 1/15/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 22 Jan 2016 , 6:17pm by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 1:59am
post #1 of 14

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can! Hope to see lots of cakes this week!

PS...we've been having uploading issues so you may need to post a link here to your photo instead!

Cat

13 replies
catlharper Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 2:02am
post #2 of 14

Hi everyone!  Nothing this week for me but I will have a kids birthday cake for next week. I'm only working word of mouth for right now so there won't be many this year. It's a simply 8 inch square but it's Disney themed and I always love working on Disney background cakes! I'll have to practice up on my Disney Font piping!

Here in California we have a 3 day weekend for the Martin Luther King holiday. Going to go see family in Sacramento that we didn't get to see for Christmas...so you could say we are having a second Christmas!  We are all looking forward to 3 days away and our roommates are looking forward to 3 days with the house to themselves...definitely a win/win for us all!

Hope you guys have a great week!

Cat

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 2:59am
post #3 of 14

We are working on the only order we have this week. It's a 6" cake with 2 dozen cupcakes. It's for a 1st birthday. The theme is snowflakes and the cake will say "wonderful to be one"  I think it's all going to look really cute together. The colors are light blue,navy blue and white. I made snowflakes out of candy melts and practice my writing and I'm hoping this will be the best writing on one of our cakes so far. We have a deco pac bat-man cake next week then a really cute bow cake the week after. 

@catlha

Webake2gether Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 3:07am
post #4 of 14

Well I wasn't done typing lol.

@catlharper  hope you have a wonderful 3 day weekend!!! how wonderful to be able have another "Christmas" with family!! We are having artic like temps here this weekend so after grocery shopping I'll probably bunker down for the weekend.  Can't wait to see everyone's cakes!

catlharper Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 14

Good morning! @Webake2gether   I love the idea of "Wonderful to be One"! That is a theme I have not heard of in the party circle and it's great! Hopefully you will be able to post photos when you are done. We are having rainy days....or at least we are supposed to. We had a bit last night and then another storm is supposed to hit Sunday and last through into Monday. Most of our time will be spent on family indoor time and, if we catch a break, it won't be raining when we drive. Then I come back and dive into cake making again.

Have a great weekend!

Cat

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 14

No cakes for me, just simple basic but still yummy chocolate chip cookies.  My in-laws have been here all week and the one thing that I can do that keeps them happy is chocolate chip cookies!  I made a big batch of dough, dished it out, froze the dough balls and every day I baked off a pan for them.  January  is slow for me but that feels good right now :)  Cat, we are so happy to hear that dripping sound outside!  Californians are forbade by law to complain about rain ;)

*Last edited by Pastrybaglady on 16 Jan 2016 , 5:57pm
Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 14

Fresh chocolate chip cookies should keep anybody happy @Pastrybaglady  

Well other than the cake that I tried to post last week I haven't baked. I hate that I can't seem to get the pictures loaded. I even tried copying and pasting it worked until I hit reply. 

Californians may not be able to complain about the rain, but I am from Texas and I would love for my yard to dry up.

happy baking

Webake2gether Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 2:31am
post #8 of 14

I wish I could post the picture directly into the thread :( 

i think the cake and cupcakes turned out cute of course I always look back and wished I would have done this or that better/different. As far as the theme that's the first I've ever heard of "wonderful to be one"  I thought it was cute and a nice break away from the usual kid cakes we get. I googled it and nothing came up for it so maybe our customer is a trend setter lol.

It hasn't gotten as cold as the forecast predicted it would today but I'm pretty sure tomorrow will be in the single digits for a high and I think -10 or -14 for the low with wind chill values. Just a few weeks ago it rained nonstop and there was quite a bit of flooding so we've had our fair share of rain now more seasonal winter weather. Come on spring :) 

kiwibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwibird Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 3:47am
post #9 of 14

Hi guys. I don't post much but I need some help from experts.

So I'm trying to make a 3D panda cake for my son's birthday. I'm using boxed mixes and I've been making 12" circle cakes and freezing them. The problem is they're really light and fluffy before I put them in the freezer. I'm going to be stacking them and Im going to put straws and boards between different flavors (every 3rd layer) but do you think it will hold up? I made a tester for taste and putting buttercream on it was a challenge because even doing very light strokes with the spatula it was crumbling and falling apart...

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 14

Hi everyone! Only one cake for me this weekend but I also did a bake sale, so I was quite busy!

The cake was rather small and simple, so I had time to do it before class on Friday haha. Here it is:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3358361/elegant-red-birthday-cake

The bake sale went well, but it could have been a lot better. It was snowing so much so barely anyone came out. Welcome to Canada I guess satisfied.png Here are a few things I was selling:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3358428/sweets-themed-sugar-cookies

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3358430/purple-teal-cake-pops

I'll be doing another one for Valentine's Day weekend, and I think that one will go a lot better!

We've also been contacted by a school magazine, and they want to interview us and feature us in the magazine. I am beyond excited but nervous at the same time!

@catlharper  ah! Disney cake, I am so jealous, they are my favourite to make! I would also love a second Christmas, that sounds like fun lol!

@Pastrybaglady  January has been slow for us as well, but I quite enjoy it. It's good to have break once in a while!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 14

It looks like we can post photos again, at least from a PC...   Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures this weekend!

Webake2gether Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 14

56a26f9f52796.jpeg56a26f9fc3be7.jpegYes you can I'm on my phone now and did it yay!!! These are from last week. So glad this is working again!!

catlharper Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 14

Awww @kiwibird ‍ SO sorry I didn't see this but the answer is yes, it will hold up. Sometimes making a denser cake (add an extra egg in there to help) will make it a bit easier but if you use support every 4 inches you will be fine! Hope the cake turned out perfectly!

Cat

catlharper Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 6:17pm
post #14 of 14

Hi everyone! Hope you all tune into the new posting tonight! I'm working on the Disney cake today as well as talking to a new client for a cake down the road that I'm very excited about! Hope your week has been great!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%