Edible Hair Straighteners - What's Best To Use?

Decorating By Garfield1 Updated 30 Dec 2015 , 10:24pm by -K8memphis

Garfield1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Garfield1 Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 10:51am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone. I need some help please. I've been asked to make a hair dresser themed birthday cake. Any ideas what would be best to use for making edible hair straighteners, hairdryer, scissors & large hair clips. Thanks

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 11:49am
post #2 of 9

fondant plus cornstarch

what is a hair straightener? a product?

Garfield1 Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 9

They are used to straighten your hair. Not sure if they have a different name in the US.  My sister-in-law is a hairdresser so I've been asked to make a birthday cake based on that. 

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 9

oh, like a curling iron only it straightens -- duh on me -- sometimes also called a flat iron

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 9

I'd use modeling chocolate since it's easy to manipulate into weird shapes and you can smooth it out easier than you can with fondant. I did a tool box cake once with chocolate clay tools and they were really easy to make.

Garfield1 Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for your advice. I'm quite new to cake decorating so appreciate you help. Haven't used modelling chocolate before so looking forward to trying it.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 9

Whatever you choose to make it with do yourself a favor and start working on the pieces as soon as possible.  This will save you a lot of last minute stress!  Fondant and modeling chocolate keep a long time.

Garfield1 Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for this. I'm off work Friday so will make them then. I need to have the cake finished for Monday but am working all weekend. 

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 9

just a random though -- if you are making these their real size you might want to use a pretzel rod inside for the straighteners -- if you are making them smaller then no need --

hope all goes very well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%