Wedding Cake Topper Advice

Decorating By Cakewalk11 Updated 24 Dec 2015 , 3:24pm by Cakewalk11

Cakewalk11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakewalk11 Posted 23 Dec 2015 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and pretty new to cake decorating so any advice is much appreciated. I'm making a 5 tier wedding cake in the upcoming week and I originally had the cake designed to have a 6" as the top tier. However (in a sick and tired moment), I accidentally told the bride 8" for the top tier. She has since made an 8" wooden monogram with their initials for the top tier. Would this look awkward to have on a 6" cake. I could even redesign the cake for a 7" top tier. I'm just trying to avoid making it an 8" if possible, though I don't know if I can avoid it now. :-/

Also, I'll be adding real flowers to the cake. Should they be wrapped in floral tape or something else before I stick them in the cake?

thanks for any help! 

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2015 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 6

an idea for the monogram is to use it within the cake somewhere between tiers that would make it all correct proportionally --rather than on top or place it on the cake table -- yes you need to protect the cake from the flowers

best to you

Cakewalk11 Posted 23 Dec 2015 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for your advice! That's a good idea! 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Dec 2015 , 1:45am
post #4 of 6

You shouldn't put floral taped wire into a cake. Not sanitary. I use straws. Cut the straw the size of your wrapped wire, pipe some royal icing into the straw, put your wrapped wired flower stem  into the straw. Push the straw into the cake. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Dec 2015 , 4:19am
post #5 of 6

An 8" top tier is going to look really squat...I'd get the topper from her ahead of time and see what you can do with it because if it's really 8" wide that's really big for a topper. 

Cakewalk11 Posted 24 Dec 2015 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for your suggestions. I've asked the bride to bring me the topper and she hasn't responded. Just hoping she'll get it to me beforehand so I can see how it looks. It IS a really big topper.  Jchuck - I have also looked at using flower spikes but with adding so many flowers to the cake it seems like they will add up in price. Thanks for the idea! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%