Sequins Cake Question

Decorating By thecakecaptain Updated 25 Nov 2015 , 6:53am by thecakecaptain

thecakecaptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakecaptain Posted 25 Nov 2015 , 12:14am
post #1 of 4

Looking for some help here....I'm making a sequins cake with confetti sprinkles and gold luster dust paint for the first time.  Although I've Googled this type of tutorial several times, I've yet to see it done with a cake covered in frosting as opposed to fondant.  It appears that fondant cakes painted with piping gel have better sticking power, thus making it easier to cover in a luster dust/alcohol combo while avoiding the chance of sprinkles falling off or attaching themselves to the paint brush.  

Is there anyone out there that has tried doing this with frosting and does it work?  My theory is maybe I can let the sprinkles sit for a bit while the frosting hardens and then paint with gold but I thought I might ask first.  :) 

3 replies
Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 25 Nov 2015 , 1:15am
post #2 of 4

I have been looking at a lot of tutorials on the sequins as well - I really like that look.  If you want to do the sequins with frosting/buttercream, I highly recommend the tutorial by Melissa Diamond from "My Cake School" - it's a completely different approach, but really effective.  She does charge a yearly fee - I think it's about $35-, but with that you can view all of her tutorials. 

*Last edited by Nancylou on 25 Nov 2015 , 1:16am
Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 25 Nov 2015 , 6:43am
post #3 of 4

I need to correct my previous post - it's only $30.00, not $35.00 ... sorry about that.

thecakecaptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakecaptain Posted 25 Nov 2015 , 6:53am
post #4 of 4

Thanks, I'll check that out! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%