Help! Out Of Flour!

Baking By Oriana28 Updated 18 Nov 2015 , 9:13pm by Shockolata

Oriana28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oriana28 Posted 16 Nov 2015 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to be carving and decorating a cake tomorrow and I was baking the layers today. I already baked one layer and placed it in the fridge. As I was mixing the flour of the other layer of the cake I noticed that the flour had worms and now I'm out of flour and the shops are all closed at this time... Will it be a problem if I bake the other layers tomorrow morning? Since one of the layers is already baked and chilling in the fridge? Please help! Thanks

4 replies
helen_freud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helen_freud Posted 16 Nov 2015 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 5

hi, 

ive baked chilled and carved a cake all in one day before i partially froze mine to help they can be abit soft but as long as its chilled/frozen enough i dont see it being a problem. im baking 4 cakes tomorrow and carving them into a van tomorrow night.
Helen

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 16 Nov 2015 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 5

Sooo, the layer that is already baked... was that made from the same batch of infested flour? If so, you need to rebake that one as well.

Oriana28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oriana28 Posted 17 Nov 2015 , 7:20am
post #4 of 5

It was the same brand of flour I pitched from the same store but it was not the same packet, also I sifted it and u didn't find anything.

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 18 Nov 2015 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 5

If you had worms (actually they are called biscuit beetles) in one lot of flour, chances are they have nested in your home somewhere and the only way to get rid of them is a) first throw away all the flour, sugar, pasta, biscuits, crisps, chocolate - any foodstuff in a packet that had not been kept in a lidded container - you'd be surprised what they will eat and they burrow into cellophane, silver foil, paper, cardboard. Then you have to clean everything carefully and ensure all new packets of food go into tupperware and jars with a secure lid. Any flour you buy, put in the fridge first. This kills the larvae. You can use the flour straight from the fridge. The dead larvae won't harm your health - it's just... protein! I have this information from the pest controller. If you leave biscuit beetles unattended, they will procreate and fill the home/workshop and you'll only notice them on a warm day when they seek the sunshine and begin walking along the ceiling/walls/floor. The adults can get quite large and can sometimes fly. Big nuisance! I struggled for a long time and then realised where they were nesting. It was a piece of artwork made with flour glue... the perfect feeding and breeding environment for the little critters! Once that went, life returned to normal but I always chill my flour to be on the safe side, in case I bring any new ones in from the supermarket. Good luck with your baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%