Raspberry Cake

Baking By sykescakes Updated 12 Nov 2015 , 11:33pm by Jenny BakesAlot

sykescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sykescakes Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 5

I am making cupcakes for a wedding in about a month and one of the flavors they requested was raspberry cake. I have made a strawberry cake before (from Sweetapolita) which has strawberry jello and some strawberry puree in it. People loved that one and I have had several requests for it. So I'm wondering if doing that same recipe but swapping in raspberry jello and puree would be a good option (just worried about it being overly sweet) or if anyone has any tried and true raspberry recipies they care to share. I perfer to do cakes from scratch so no doctered box mixes. I have found a few recicpies online that have raspberry extract and then some fresh raspberries folded into the batter. I have a little time to try a few recipies out I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thank!!

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 5

I made a red velvet cake with no food color that featured raspberries and beets.  You can certainly do the raspberry cake the same way you did the strawberry.  The raspberries are so tart there's no way the cake will come off as being too sweet.  I love tart so It's perfect for me.  I would not lean very hard on the extract, too chemical tasting.  Just buy a bag of frozen raspberries, thaw, add a bit of lemon to preserve the color, puree, strain the seeds and cook it down a bit to concentrate.  Once it's cool you're ready to go!

*Last edited by Pastrybaglady on 12 Nov 2015 , 5:48pm
sykescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sykescakes Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 5

That is true about the raspberries being more tart. The strawberry cake I make is pretty sweet but with the added tartness of raspberries it would probably balance out. The jello also addes a nice color to it. I like the idea of cooking the pureed raspberries down to concentrate the flavor. I also don't really like the idea of a raspberry extract so I'm leaning tward the recipe that I already use. Thanks for your input!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 5

Though I have never made a raspberry cake I would agree w/the comments already posted.

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 5

Coincidentally, I just made raspberry cake for the first time.  I did as mentioned above, cooked, strained and condensed the raspberries and added that to my vanilla batter (scratch).  I never use artificial extracts or jello or anything artificial, actually.  My suggestion to myself for next time is to replace some of the liquid already in the batter with the raspberry puree in addition to the amount I used the first time when I added to the batter.  It wasn't raspberry flavored enough.  So for example, instead of adding just 4 oz., add 8 oz and reduce the milk (buttermilk, whatever) by 4 oz.  Not saying I used those amounts, just examples.  And regarding the red velvet cake, I just turned one into a lime cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%