How To Semi-Naked Frost A Cake?

Decorating By Jasmin32 Updated 12 Nov 2015 , 12:12pm by costumeczar

Jasmin32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmin32 Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 7:12am
post #1 of 2

Hi Everyone!

I've been decorating cakes for years, when I first looked at semi-naked cake I thought that looked so ridiculously easy and was so happy it seemed to be coming all the trends!

Although, it didn't seem to be as easy as I thought it would be to ice! To get those purposeful gaps in the frosting where you see the cake underneath, yet the frosting still look lovely and smooth, appeared near impossible. 

I seemed to take hours icing the cake, to get those gaps, and yet the frosting wasn't smooth as I was purposefully leaving large gaps out to make the cake visible, making it basically an indent. 

The picture with all the cakes is what I strive to make them look like, the close ups are what mine looked like, as you can see how the icing isn't smooth, as if I did run the bench scraper all the way around the cake, it would have filled all those gaps in! If I put less frosting on then I woiuldn't 't have got those big sections of full white which I also love.

Is there some big secret I don't know about on how to achieve this look?

Thanks heaps!

Jasmin56443bfb6fff2.jpeg56443bfc7be10.jpeg56443bfd70daf.jpeg56443bfdb28bc.jpeg56443bfec3b31.jpeg56443bffacc90.jpeg

x

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 2

Crumb coat the cake, then using a long spatula or a bench scraper, go in and remove icing in certain spots by pressing harder against the side of the cake in those spots where you want the cake to show through. It can help to trim the sides fo the cake to begin with to make sure everything is flat and even.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%