Has Anyone Used Wilton's Candy Color Set?

Decorating By TheSconeRanger Updated 9 Nov 2015 , 5:30am by Apti

TheSconeRanger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSconeRanger Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 2:42am
post #1 of 5

I'm really looking to start coloring my chocolates. I'm not a huge fan of Wilton's candy melts and Americolor seizes up my chocolate because it's water based. I just wanted to know if anyone has had a chance to use Wilton's candy colors. Love it? Hate it? I'd love some feedback before I buy them.

4 replies
RobertBarnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobertBarnett Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 11:11am
post #2 of 5

I have used them and they work ok. But the colors available are limited. Instead I bought a bottle of AmeriColor Flo-Coat. It comes in a 2oz bottle and us kind of an orange-yellow in color. You take a put like a tablespoon of it in a container and then add your water based gel color to it, mix well and then add that to your chocolate. No seizing, just color. It works great and can be hand from Amazon.com.

Robert

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 5

yep, i've used them for coloring almond bark (for cake pop dipping) and MMF (to match body part coloring for said cake pop)...

agree with Robert, i.e. they work 'ok' and colors are limited. i'll add that deep colors are very hard/impossible to achieve. also, the pink and violet fade. because of the limitations and some disappointing results, i'm looking to switch to a better product.

fyi...i've heard/read that powdered coloring works well on candy/chocolate, but have not yet tried them for myself.

btw...love your screen name!

*Last edited by virago on 8 Nov 2015 , 3:53pm
TheSconeRanger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSconeRanger Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 3:45am
post #4 of 5

Thank you guys so much! I'll have to look into to the Flo-Coat.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 9 Nov 2015 , 5:29am
post #5 of 5

I've used the Wilton candy melt colors with white Guittard A'Peels and they worked ok.  The darker colors like purple faded, however.  I seldom use the oil-based candy colors and prefer to mix commercially colored Wilton Candy Melts into my higher quality white Guittard A'Peels to get the colors I want; works great for pastels! 

For darker colors, like black, red, navy blue, I just buy smaller, more expensive packages of Merckens, Guittard A'Peels, or as a last resort, Wilton candy melts.

*Last edited by Apti on 9 Nov 2015 , 5:30am

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%