Huge Buble Again!!! Questioning My Buttercream Recipe...

Decorating By Queensweet Updated 1 Nov 2015 , 4:45pm by costumeczar

Queensweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queensweet Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone!

So for a little while I've been using Krazy Kool Cakes buttercream recipes. Soft for crumb coat and filling and a very stiff recipe (no butter) to actually frost. I've been using this mainly for under fondant, because with the stiff consistency it keeps it's shape, whereas I've had other times where the frosting started to ooze out the bottom, so very frustrating. BUT I've noticed lately I tend to get a HUGE and I mean really really HUGE bubble. They're easy enough to pop, but fixing it still leaves behind blemishes I'd rather not have there at all, especially if I don't catch it until after I've added other decorations.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or better yet, do any of you have favorite frosting recipes you like to use under fondant? I've heard gnache (sp?) is great under fondant but Ive never tried it and I worry about customers liking the flavor, especially if they don't like chocolate.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

2 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 3

I'm pretty sure that Krazy Kool Cakes uses Edna De La Cruz's buttercream recipe.  I think her website is designmeacake.com and she has a tutorial on how to make it if you want to see if your mixing it wrong.

I use Gretchen Price's SMBC recipe and love it, never had any issues with it.  It has some powdered sugar so it appeals to both SMBC and ABC people.  I also use ganache and love that too.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 3

Bubbles have nothing to do with the buttercream, it's caused by air inside the layers or in the cake seeking a way out when it warms up and expands. When it hits the layer of buttercream it pushed it out, and that's what caused the bubbles.

You might want to start really paying attention to getting a smooth layer of filling to prevent there being any pockets where air can get trapped, and putting the layers together then pressing down on them to force any air out. If you're icing the layers when they're frozen try doing it at room temp a few times. If you ice a frozen cake and it have air inside it, that air will expand when it warms up. Doing everything at room temperature is one way to minimize the possibility of that happening because you've eliminated the warming-up time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%