Urgent Help With Sps System And Wedding Cake!

Decorating By mmhassa2 Updated 31 Oct 2015 , 11:01pm by littlebsbakery

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 9

So I'm in Canada and last month during a trip to US I ordered SPS system from Global Sugar Art for a wedding cake I'm working on this coming weekend. Since its my first time working with a 12", 10" and 8" cake I figured the SPS will make it a breeze.  Until now I've done several 10",8" and 6" 3 tiered cake with bubble straws. 

Well just looked at the pillars and they're 4" high! For some reason I swear I thought they were 5" high.  What am I suppose to do? All my pans are 2" high, so from the top of my head my cakes are often 4.5" high and I was going to use extra buttercream to built it upto 5".  Now my issue is the pillars are approx .5" too short. 

I dont think I can purchase 5" pillars anywhere locally.  I looked prior to ordering the SPS from US. 

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 9

cut your cake to fit the pillar

mmhassa2 Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 9

The problem is I level my cakes while still in the pan as it's easier and have never really torted them nor do I have the slicer. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 9

Cake has to match the pillars.  No option there.  SPS DOES make a 5" pillar, but prob not available anywhere on such short notice.

mmhassa2 Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 9

Just dug up this post from a previous and thread and hoping I have the same experience...

"sillywabbitz Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:26pm

post #21 of 32
Actions 

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/697173/spsnot-so-much-for-those-who-love-it-this-is-jmo#uG0IKP7WzyrGeErj.99"

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 9

Find a few cake circles, put them in the bottoms of your cake pans, place the cakes back in the pans and level them across the top like you normally would.

mmhassa2 Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 9

Thank YOU! Why didn't I think of this! Thank you again! 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 9

Happy to pass along what I've picked up on this site!

littlebsbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebsbakery Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 9

My cakes are always a little over 4in high and I always use the SPS system! The pillars are only 4in high but when added to the plate is gives it that little extra height :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%