Need Quick Help! Laser Cut Wrappers With Strong Smell

Decorating By stephsweetreats Updated 10 Nov 2015 , 12:54am by stephsweetreats

stephsweetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephsweetreats Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 9

Ok I have a wedding delivery on Saturday and am making part the cupcakes today and the rest tomorrow along with the rest of my weekend orders.  The bride bought black laser cut cupcake wrappers to be used on all 400 cupcakes.  I store wedding deliveries in long low totes, so I wrapped the 100 cupcakes and when I went back to go frost them I noticed that instead of smelly yummy cupcakes when I open the containers I notice the smell of the wrappers.  Almost like a paint smell.  I'm freaking out that the cupcakes will absorb the smell of the wrappers after being kept in a closed container.  I don't know if I can manage time wise to wrap and frost all 400 on Saturday morning before delivery (they take forever to wrap and fit way less per container).

Do you think they will taste like the smell?  Am I being paranoid?  Should I put off finishing them or just let the wrappers air out?  Help please!

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 9

oh man what a stinker problem pun intended sorta -- you are not being paranoid -- for this i think i would notify the bride -- 

she needs to know the product she bought is at cross purposes with the food you are making --

i would not want to use them at all -- if i did have to use them i would wait till the last possible moment until i set up the cupcakes on site -- and i'd have to charge extra probably for all that last minute work -- idk 

i'd notify her and i'm one who never notifies brides last minute like this --

keep me posted on what you do

stephsweetreats Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 9

K8memphis we think alike!  I contacted her (apologizing any last minute stress this may cause).  She completely understood and does not want to compromise the cupcakes and told me to just not use the wrappers.  I told her I'll let some of them sit out and possibly add them when I set up.  

Not all of her cupcakes can be displayed at once so I'm hoping to at least use them on the cupcakes that will be out so guests can see and they can be in photos etc.  Also hoping that the smell wouldn't be such a big problem then since they will be out in the open,not confined to a container.  So fingers crossed I can use some of them.  I'd hate to have her waste all that money on those wrappers!

Also a little worried because I have another bride wanting 600 cupcakes wrapped in January.  These ones were laser cut black and the bride bought them.  The ones for January are glitter/white.  I may have to contact the company beforehand and check because I don't want to order $400O+ of wrappers and have them also smell.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 9

good thing she was so understanding -- maybe she will want to return them for a refund?

wow what a strange thing to have happen -- no bueno --

but you did good -- great save! whew

hope the glitter doesn't come loose off the wrappers for the january order...

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 29 Oct 2015 , 6:30pm
stephsweetreats Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks!  I know me too!  I want to only order one pack so I can smell them and see if the glitter comes off, but I'm buying wholesale so I have to get more :(  May have to find the same brand/ones elsewhere and buy a small quantity.  Otherwise I'm going to have a glitter filled smelly mess on my hands!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 9

sparkles.png well so long as it's pretty --- hahahaha oh my

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 9

I'm confused...aren't cupcake wrappers those semi-circle things which co around any standard cupcake case?  Surely you wouldn't freeze them - just put them in on the day?  Maybe this is a GB/US lingo thing...

stephsweetreats Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 9

Snowflakebunny23, yes you are correct as to what the wrappers are. There's no freezing of anything or question of freezing. It's difficult to get already frosted cupcakes into the wrapper/around the cupcake.  Since I don't even want to haul them in the wrappers (way too smelly to confine them in a container) and it would take waaay to long to attempt to wrap all 400 cupcakes at the venue.  Since I'm only putting out what will fit on their table, that would leave the venue responsible for wrapping the cupcakes as they restock, which isn't something they are going to want to do, nor is it something the bride wants to have to worry about.

So I'm going to wrap the cupcakes that will be on the table first at the venue (if the smell of the wrapper isn't too overpowering).  Then the restocked cupcakes will not have them.  However, they may still be too bad.  I had 100 of them assembled and in my kitchen and to walk in gave me a headache they were so bad.

stephsweetreats Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 12:54am
post #9 of 9

I forgot to update on the outcome of this wedding/wrapper situation.  I ended up using them on the cupcakes that were displayed to start the reception. (only about 130 of the 400+ cupcakes were out to start with).  That way the guests go to see them and they were out for pictures.  It also worked out fine for the smell since they were not in a confined container with the wrappers.  I put them on as I set up.  the picture quality is super poor because it's from a cell phone-no camera version uploaded yet :/

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3355176/halloween-wedding

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%