Speed Up

Decorating By DeniseAtTCR Updated 29 Oct 2015 , 7:34pm by -K8memphis

DeniseAtTCR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseAtTCR Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 5:18am
post #1 of 5

I am wondering how I can increase my speed decorating cakes(buttercream)? I learned to decorate with Wilton classes about 3-1/2 yrs ago and have made cakes for others, at my leisure, at home, since than. I work at a bakery now, decorating and have been told by a couple people (including the boss)that I'm slow. I noticed I am slower than more experienced decorators. I don't try to be slow but if I speed up very much, my work becomes very sloppy (lots of crooked lines). My boss likes the quality of my work better than the other decorator who is faster. So, how do I speed up without loosing quality? 

I will ask this questions at a few forums to get as many suggestions as possible. Thanks.

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 11:08am
post #2 of 5

Practice is the only way. The other people there have probably been doing it for years, sot hat's why they're faster and more accurate. you have to just keep practicing.

Get a big tub of practice icing (confectioner's sugar, crisco and water) and ice a dummy over and over. It will be boring but it will help your speed.

DeniseAtTCR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseAtTCR Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 5

Working in a bakery setting will give you lots of practice, and it won't be long before your speed increases.   I found that to be true in my experience. 

I started out on my own, then worked in a bakery for almost 4 years.  All of the daily practice increased my speed, which served me well when I left the bakery scene to start my own wedding cake business.

Don't worry - the speed will come!  :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 5

yes your speed will increase in time but if your boss is speaking to you about this subject it might be time to sacrifice some accuracy for speed -- he/she has apparently been making good on the less accurate work --  less accurate work is more lucrative -- more lucrative is more important than more accurate --

speed up and (some of) the accuracy will follow -- you gotta push it or risk losing the job right? usually if they see you trying to improve they will give you more time -- go faster

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%