Titanium Dioxide Powder And Smbc That Won't Turn White!

Decorating By Brookebakes Updated 27 Oct 2015 , 5:31am by maybenot

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 11

I'm relatively new to using SMBC...and love it! I need to make it white-white for an upcoming wedding cake. Knowing it is a little yellow by nature, I bought some titanium dioxide powder and was advised to use a very small amount, as too much would make the icing taste bitter.

I used almost a teaspoon in about 3 cups of icing and no change :( the whole container is only 15grams, so I doubt I'm meant to use much more.

I then tried Americolor white gel...nothing... and the trick with a touch of violet in Americolor too. This helped a little, but anymore is going to start turning the mix grey.

is there a way to get SMBC white-white?! Would clear vanilla really make much difference? I use unsalted butter. I read some posts from a few years ago, but wonder if there are any new products or hints to help with this? Thanks!

10 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 11

I doubt there's a way to get it white-white, the butter will always make it off white so you're going to be fighting that too much. You could try an oil-based white candy color, but this could be a situation where ti has to be a confectioner's sugar-based buttercream to get it really white.

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 11

Most laundry detergents are blue because blue makes white clothing look whiter. You could try a tiny dash of blue? Or as cc said, the butter is the real culprit here.  The clear vanilla would help a little, but it's the butter that's the main problem.  You could do a shortening based buttercream, that would be white, or you could cover it with white fondant?

post #4 of 11

Most laundry detergents are blue because blue makes white clothing look whiter. You could try a tiny dash of blue? Or as cc said, the butter is the real culprit here.  The clear vanilla would help a little, but it's the butter that's the main problem.  You could do a shortening based buttercream, that would be white, or you could cover it with white fondant?

post #5 of 11

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 11

this idea is for going forward

i just tell my brides the cake will be a bit off white because butter is yellow and vanilla is brown and what with the lighting and all at the venue it will all blend perfectly with the surroundings -- the beauty of smbc is the butter and vanilla

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 23 Oct 2015 , 5:05pm
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 11

also if you beat your icing an extended period of time that can help whiten it up as much as it's gonna whiten 

best to you

legallyshe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
legallyshe Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 11

I read somewhere, perhaps here on CC, that if you add just a teeny bit of violet, it helps.  I've tried this and it works, but with SMBC, I use candy color, instead of water-based gel colors.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Oct 2015 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 11

Yes you can get White-White SMBC just as you can get White-White AMBC, however you have to use Crisco or commercial Hi-Ratio shortening and no butter.  You sacrifice flavor for appearance.

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 3:16am
post #10 of 11

Thanks all!

Have decided that my bride will need to pick between taste of SMBC and have an off-white colour, or the "whiteness" of Whip n Ice - but a more store-bought flavour.

Cheers for the advice :)

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 27 Oct 2015 , 5:31am
post #11 of 11

A few dots of violet gel paste color will make it much whiter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%