Unplanned Surgery And Loads Of Orders

Decorating By cakemonstercakes Updated 14 Oct 2015 , 6:07pm by kakeladi

cakemonstercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemonstercakes Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 7:09am
post #1 of 9

Yesterday was my 50th birthday and I was diagnosed with skin cancer above my eye - surgery is expected within 2 weeks BUT I have 13 cakes booked in over the next 4 weeks!! Surgery is going to to be outpatients but all likeliness that I will end up with an eye patch for a short while. I work from home and all the complex sugar paste decorations are completed for all the cakes - (list of cakes below). I am not sure how to deal with this as I have no idea how bad it will be once they operate - would you pass the orders to a local decorator? cancel the orders? wait and see? any suggestions?

Toolbox
2 Tier 21st (Pink and Pretty)
3 Tier superhero

2 tier disney castle
3D Book Cake
18" Dart board with a pint glass
2 Tier ombre ruffle
Cupcake bouquet (made to weight watchers recipe)
Energy drink Can & snickers bar
2 Tier Tropical flower cake
Baby Bump Baby shower cake
Box of chocolates
Noahs Ark

8 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 7:18am
post #2 of 9

Is that your list of orders?  If so, It looks like there are no wedding cakes in there which is a relief.  I always believe in being as honest as possible with your customers so I would contact some other bakers, ask them if they have availability to take x,y and z, then call your customers, explain you have to have surgery so will not be able to make their cake but refer them to the other vendor.  Personally, I would also pay for any increased cost of the referral as well but that is just me.  I think most people are pretty understanding when it is a medical issue (especially if you mention that it's cancer).  It's not like you decided to take a holiday 2 weeks before their wedding...yes, i did have that happen to a bride!   Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. xx

Showstoppers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Showstoppers Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 9:02am
post #3 of 9

You come first- cake mixture might flow through your veins, but it isn't what keeps you alive. I would explain to each customer and see if you can get them to find someone else. Those who can't, see if they will accept simplified versions of what they wanted. Most would feel awful to think that their cake could cause any distress to someone with bigger things on their mind. Maybe you could see who is on this forum near enough to you that could help out?  Cake order falling though.... worse things happen at sea!! Take every bit of stress out of your life and for now take care of number 1 x

https://www.facebook.com/Showstopperscakedecorations

*Last edited by Showstoppers on 13 Oct 2015 , 9:04am
Callicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callicious Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 9:03am
post #4 of 9

Not a nice diagnosis and wish you luck with the surgery and all goes well and your recovery is fast...

i fully understand this situation, I had an operation on my hand last year so was out of action too, but mine was scheduled. None the less, I grilled the surgeon with information on recovery time, how soon could I start using the hand, would using it undo the good work from the surgery etc etc... That way I could plan around it. 

Thats a long list of orders you have, perhaps if you let the clients know asap and sure they would understand your serious situation, and ask surgeon what's to be expected from a recovery point of view as this affects your business. 

Wishing you the best of luck xx

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 11:01am
post #5 of 9

Sorry about the diagnosis! And good luck on surgery, and recovery. You come first though. And remember, your pre-op state and health are very important for the surgery and recovery as well, so reducing stress is a good idea. Ask your Dr how long and how demanding he expects the recovery to be. Some surgeries have short recovery time, and no serious impairment to daily functions, although do not sound trivial. 

I agree you should contact your clients ASAP, once you have a plan of what to offer them. Definitely, just be honest. Some _may_ have flexibility (like, a rainy day built into their celebration plans) with a date, and that could be pushed out another week. It is rare, but may happen.  

Perhaps you could see if you can have some help on either baking, or decorating, maybe you could provide the make-ahead tropical flowers, for example, and have the rest done for you. You have a long list of orders, so some may need to be cancelled and referred to another baker, while they have the time to accept a new order. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 11:23am
post #6 of 9

I'd cancel the orders that are close to the surgery date, but if they're just removing a cancerous area from the skin it's probably not going to be too much of a hindrance. My father had malignant melanoma on his arm and he was all bandaged up, but it just slowed him down for a short time. My FIL had a few skin cancers removed from his face over the years, and they just bandage you up and send you home. The skin on your face heals pretty quickly, so you'll probably be uncomfortable for a few days but it doesn't sound like it will be anything that would make you want to lie around on the couch and do nothing (but you should take the opportunity to do so!)

Sorry about the diagnosis, I hope that ti's something minor like my FIL had. They'd remove the spot, send him on his way, and that would be it. I think that my MIL also had the same thing. FIngers crossed that it's a minor event for you!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2015 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 9

ditto everything ^^^^ already posted and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

getting older ain't for sissies huh --

it would be good to keep a few things on your schedule to look forward to but not if it stresses you outout --

best to you with speedy easy recovery and best reports on all the tests

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 13 Oct 2015 , 12:41pm
mymamacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymamacakes Posted 14 Oct 2015 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 9

I had a very similar situation recently.  I baked/froze cakes ahead of time and I made any fondant/gumpaste decorations I could ahead of time.  I did the rest as I was recovering, which was assembly and decorating. 

Or---are you friendly with any other bakers?  You could discuss with them and your client, be honest, but set them up together so they aren't in the wind?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Oct 2015 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 9

Checked out your location - you don't list one.  Maybe someone on here is in your area and could help.  sorry running out of time to post more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%