Royal Icing

Decorating By SharyB Updated 8 Oct 2015 , 12:43pm by SharyB

SharyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharyB Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to find out what is added to royal icing to make it more pliable and less able to break...please help as I can make the royal icing but still have difficulty when piping long strands....I read once some ingredient and I cannot remember what it was...also what quantity per 1kg powdered sugar.

many thanks

7 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 7 Oct 2015 , 5:11am
post #2 of 8

probably corn syrup. What are you trying to get the icing to do? String work?

SharyB Posted 7 Oct 2015 , 9:29am
post #3 of 8

Yes and I am failing hopelessly....I thought one person said agar agar. How much corn syrup does one add?

Thanks for the reply....

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 7 Oct 2015 , 10:27am
post #4 of 8

What are you trying to do?  Royal icing is not supposed to be pliable at all?  I do quite a lot of work with royal icing and found that how you handle it makes a big difference to how well it survives.  Only hold it from one side (so don't hold it between 2 fingers, just support it underneath with 1 and be very gentle.  I made this for my cake international entry last year and all the pieces were made of royal icing and free-standing (not attached to the cake)...the big ones were 3-times the size of my hands and curved.  I only broke one piece (and thankfully, it was a small one!).  Try adding a bit more water to the mix and also start with thicker nozzles until you get the hang of it.  If you are working on a pattern/greeceproof paper, make sure you greese your paper to help the icing release and DO NOT try to remove them until the icing has completely dried.  I leave mine overnight at least.  Good luck :-)5614f37dd1553.jpeg

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 7 Oct 2015 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 8

And for string work, try adding about 1 tablespoon of corn syrup to the 2 lb/ 1 K powdered sugar recipe. It only takes a little to get some "string" going. 

awesome effect snowflake!

SharyB Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 9:51am
post #6 of 8

Oh wow I am so impressed with your work. Thank you very much for your hints and tips I will try them and hopefully become more adapt at icing. I even sometimes find it difficult to get the icing to stick to the fondant. I will keep trying as you cake is awesome.

Many thanks

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 11:27am
post #7 of 8

How are you trying to stick the icing to the fondant?  You can't really use water as a glue for royal iced decorations like you would with fondant/gumpaste decorations because it will dissolve the sugar.  I always use royal icing itself as a glue...much easier and gives better contact.  Alternatively you could use buttercream.

SharyB Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much for all your help....I will practice 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%