How To Cover A Cake With Three Different Fondant Colors? (Picture Included)

Decorating By kandyslife Updated 4 Oct 2015 , 1:20pm by kandyslife

kandyslife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyslife Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 7:29am
post #1 of 7

asJBxmh1Cf-bob-marley-cake_900.jpganyone has any idea how this cake was covered with these three different shades of fondant ???

6 replies
kandyslife Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 7

Please anyone???

kandyslife Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 7

Please anyone???

mellee2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee2012 Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 7

Make the three different colors of fondant, measure the amount needed for each section.  I would place each section on the cake separately  with the edges of the different colors touching and and rub the seams where they meet with my finger to blend together.  I suppose you could place next to each other and run a rolling pin over them and then place on the cake a single piece.

kandyslife Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 6:35am
post #5 of 7

@mellee2012  thank you very much, i will definitely try that out and hope it works out well

its always scary and nerve wrecking to do something new for the first time

hope it goes smoothly x)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 7:40am
post #6 of 7

I would start with the green and red fondant.  Cover (almost) each half. Then measure out the yellow fondant.  On a 9" cake for example you want it to be 3" wide. Roll it and cut it. Then use a paper template 3" wide and lay it exactly on top of the cake. Cut along the lines and remove the bits of the red and green fondant. Place the yellow fondant on top. I think that way makes it easier to have clean edges than starting with the yellow fondant and then the other two because it would be difficult to get the edges lined up exactly as you would need to pull and stretch them to smooth them around the sides. 

You could even do the cake board with it in one go if you use Methode one.

kandyslife Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 7

@julia1812  thank you soo much for the advice! yes i think your right, the edges would look smoother that way

as i'm looking closely at the image i posted above, the edges between the colors don't look very neat, i want mine to look as smooth as possible 

cake is for a close friend so it needs to be as perfect as possible :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%