Eggless Cake Using Box Mix And Jello?

Baking By Raagam Updated 29 Sep 2015 , 5:29am by Singerssoul

Raagam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raagam Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 2:59am
post #1 of 3

Hi all, I was wondering if it's possible to make a doctored box mix eggless.  I usually add jello pudding and an extra egg to the box mix and it turns out perfect, both texture and flavor.  Is there a way to still use the jello but no eggs? and what would you substitute the eggs with?  Thanks!

2 replies
gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 3:37am
post #2 of 3

Here's a recipe for scratch

Eggless Sponge Cake I found in 2010 online:

6 oz self-rising flour w/1 tsp baking powder OR

6 oz of plain flour w/3 level tsp baking powder

2 1/2 oz margarine

2 oz caster sugar (very fine sugar in Britain)

1 level Tbsp golden syrup (you can try substituting it with 2 parts light corn syrup and 1 part molasses OR equal parts of honey and light corn syrup)

1/4 pint milk

375 oven. Traditional mixing method...cream margarine, sugar & syrup until soft & light. Sift flour & baking powder into separate bowl. Add a little of the flour to the margarine mixture & beat. Then add a little of the liquid & beat. Continue this until you have a smooth mixture. Divide this mixture & bake in two 'tins' on the center shelf of oven for about 20 min or until firm to the touch.

*After testing eggless recipes back then, this was a recipe w/best outcome from the 3 i tried. There may be better recipes out there now. Thought i'd post just in case. Good luck & happy testing. Not easy to find a good eggless cake recipe.

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 5:27am
post #3 of 3

There is an old war cake scratch recipe that is chocolate and although not designed to be vegan, it just happens to be. I use it all the time, and it is good the first day, better the second.  Also, when kept in the fridge, it actually improves.  The following recipe is but one of many for it (I think everyone's family has some version of this) but I find this versions instructions allow it to always be perfect.  The recipe is for cupcakes, but it makes a good cake as well (for me the listed recipe as written tends to make a standard 8" layer or about 11 cupcakes).  I know it seems like olive oil would have a funny taste, but you cannot taste it.  The added coffee is strong in the batter until it is cooked and then it simply enhances the chocolate flavor.  It will be a bit thinner than most cake batter tends to be, and it does require you to put a touch more in for cupcakes.  I do tend to fill cake pans about the same with it. The best part about this, is that it is SUPER easy but comes out terrific!

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/super_easy_super_moist_chocolate_cupcakes/

*Last edited by Singerssoul on 29 Sep 2015 , 5:29am

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%