My Cake Keeps Sinking In The Middle

Baking By Nurasmar Updated 28 Sep 2015 , 12:50pm by -K8memphis

Nurasmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nurasmar Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 7:38am
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I have been baking regularly for the past two years and i have never had cake sinking problems. However, a couple of days ago, i bought food grade aluminum cake pans, and i tried baking chocolate, vanilla and strawberry cakes, the chocolate ones had sunk every single time, after 3/4 of the baking time they rise and look beautiful, after a couple of minutes the cake sink,,what could have gone wrong? i heard that if there is too much leavening agent, but i always stick to the recipe, i used everything fresh, and made sure of the ovens temperature by using an oven thermometer. can anyone help me please?

Thank you

4 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 9:26am
post #2 of 5

I live in the South and humidity plays a huge role in how cakes rise.  Not sure if that could be your problem but just a suggestion.  Another thing to check is your baking powder.  Sure hope you figure it our cause it is definitely frustrating!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 11:48am
post #3 of 5

sometimes too much batter will sink a chocolate cake -- maybe take out a bit and see -- and i hope you're looking through a window into the oven rather than opening the door --

best to you

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 28 Sep 2015 , 11:50am
Nurasmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nurasmar Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 5

I might have to try taking a bit of the batter out, any clue how much should i fill the cake pan, half full o 2/3 of the height of the pan? i know sometimes it depends on the recipe itself, but some recipes dont include this piece of information.

And i live in a fairly dry area, i am from Jordan, Middle East and there is no humidity where i live, i will check the baking powder and make sure its fresh

Thank you so much :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 5

like you said it's so dependent on so many different individual specifications -- but in general a 2" pan can be filled half to two/thirds full and a 3" pan can be filled half full -- but your pan should be filled 'a little less than last time' :) maybe half of a cup less give or take --

and like cutiger says make sure your bkg powd is not at all grainy or salty feeling -- should be smooth as glass light as air --

hope this clears up for you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%