Pointers On Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By cupcakemama3 Updated 17 Sep 2015 , 3:06pm by Pastrybaglady

cupcakemama3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemama3 Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I need some suggestions on piping Swiss meringue buttercream. Do people use it to pipe and make flowers and such? My first experience with this icing about 3 years ago was total fail. I didn't realize that when it had the curdled look to just keep beating so I had nasty clumpy icing! Since then I have made caramel and brown sugar Swiss meringue. They we're much better! Nice and smooth, but I was missing the stiffness that I am usually used to with American buttercream and the icing didn't look as nice on my cupcakes. Today I have made lemon Swiss meringue. Tastes so good. Very smooth. I haven't iced my mom's b-day cake with it yet but I can tell it's going to spread on great. The only thing is, why can't I get it to a stiff consistency? Does it suppose to ever get to a stiff consistency? I would love to be able to use this icing more. I think my customers would love it. I just need to know how to make it pipeable--if that's a word!

5 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 1:53am
post #2 of 6

SMBC is very soft and fluffy but when the weather is cooler it will be easier to pipe.  I piped these with SMBC.

55fa1d03d6646.jpeg

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 2:01am
post #3 of 6

@Pastrybaglady  your piped smbc is fabulous!  well done.smile.png

I think that you can stiffen  your smbc a bit by adding sifted powdered sugar, about a half to a whole cup. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 2:41am
post #4 of 6

Thanks MB blush.png

Yes, you can add powdered sugar or cold to stiffen it up a bit.  Also make sure you beat the meringue to stiff peaks and adding soft but cool butter helps as well.

cupcakemama3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemama3 Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the tips. Will the confectioners sugar make it too sweet? @Pastrybaglady  Those are beautiful.  I'm Doing some similar to those today. I hope mine turn out that pretty. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 6

@cupcakemama3  Another thing, if you have hot hands wear gloves!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%