Hershey's Frosting

Decorating By sparkledee3 Updated 15 Sep 2015 , 4:03pm by -K8memphis

sparkledee3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkledee3 Posted 12 Sep 2015 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 8

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the Chocolate Frosting on the back of the Hershey's can is a crusting one and if I can pipe a shell border with it? I've never made this one and someone requested it. If it is too soft to pipe, is there a way to stiffen it for the border? Thanks!

Also, are there any ideas to create a faux leather texture on top of the icing besides ordering a mat as I won't have time to get one. Looking for regular household items that may work or a brand paper toweling that I could use for that texture.

*Last edited by sparkledee3 on 12 Sep 2015 , 11:41pm
7 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Sep 2015 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 8

Yes it does crust

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 12:13am
post #3 of 8

hold back on a bit of the liquid if you want it stiffer but if it's too thin for you add cornstarch -- 

i don't know of anything specific for the leather texture but i have a piece of plastic tablecloth type tooled leather that has come in handy a time or two -- got it at hobby lobby years ago and i know they carried it for a long time -- still might 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 12:23am
post #4 of 8

http://www.decoratethecake.com/store/WsDefault.asp?One=659

here's one type of leather texture mat.

sparkledee3 Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 3:55am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the info MBalaska and K8Memphis!

-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 8

'welcome, sd3 -- i was at wal-mart and thought about you 'cause there was a placemat that woulda been perfect -- ha!

sparkledee3 Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 8

K8, That's too funny because I've been looking at the backside of placemats wherever I go! LOL I have to check Walmart here because I'm sure I could use one in the future. I ended up NOT icing the tops of the cupcakes as one uniform look like a cake because filling in between the gaps with icing then pulling them apart was going to be too messy for this group of guys. The client didn't want chocolate frosting all over them and her couch! So, instead I just dunked the tops in ganache,  piped a shell border all the way around to make the football shape cohesive after I placed them on the board to look like a football. Then added the stitch lines in vanilla icing. Pretty simple actually. And..no mess according to the client. I just decorated all the rest of the cupcakes with a simple swirl then placed them around the football with Game Day picks in them. It looked like fans cheering. hahahaa 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 8

sounds perfect and delicious

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%