Liability Insurance

Business By Norcalhiker Updated 11 Sep 2015 , 3:07am by Norcalhiker

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 5:54am
post #1 of 8

I need to contact my insurance company in the next week for several issues, including a quote for business liability.  Can someone advise as to whether a rider on a home policy is adequate, or if a separate business owner's policy is best.  Also how do you estimate the amount of coverage to buy?

7 replies
aarika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aarika Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 8

I have mine through here: $300 for the year, it was much simpler signing up through them than when I tried through my insurance carrier (Allstate) that I use for car, renter's, and life insurance.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 8

I got mine through my insurance agent and it was difficult to find a policy that fit. If the link that @aarika  gave is easy to use, go with that.

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 8

I just clicked the link entered my info and had a policy ready to purchase for $299 a year. It was simple and fast. I've not purchased it yet bc I have to discuss it with my husband first bc he thinks going through our homeowners will be cheaper but I don't think it will. I'm actually not sure I want to even contact them bc I've heard of people getting dropped by their insurance companies. I read it on here. Thanks for sharing the link :)

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 8

Costumeczar, oh, I didn't think about fitting the policy to my needs, rather I was thinking a generic general liability policy.  But my housing situation is unusual.  I live on a property that is managed by a trust.  The trustee does not oppose my endeavor, but I've yet to discuss the particulars with the trust manager.  You got me thinking that I have to consider what the trust will require as well.  I'm wondering if I'll need a policy to indemnify the trust.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 8

The FLIP insurance linked above will let you add additional insured parties at no cost (which a lot of venues also require).

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 8

@Webake2gether  I got mine through my homeowners and it was much cheaper, about $45/year.  But, be careful, my agent had to go through a few companies to find one that would do it. The insurance company I had, at the time, dropped me when they found out I was starting a cake business.  They said it was an extra fire hazard to be baking cakes, haha!

Anyway, make sure you go through an agent in case you have issues like that.

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 3:07am
post #8 of 8

Melmar20, thank you for the info.  I've been looking at the issue since I last posted and im certain I will need additional insurance.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%