Help! Real Ribbons Or Gum Paste?

Decorating By mcamp85 Updated 9 Sep 2015 , 12:22pm by Brookebakescake

mcamp85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcamp85 Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 12:52am
post #1 of 5

55ef834809f99.jpegA client asked me to make this cake for her and I can't figure out how to get the ribbons straight (enough). I have the Wilton ribbon cutter so I know the actual ribbons I'm making are straight.

You'll note that the ribbons are a bit off in the picture and I'm ok with them being off just not as wavy as mine were.

*Last edited by mcamp85 on 9 Sep 2015 , 12:54am
4 replies
Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 1:33am
post #2 of 5

If you need to, cut your ribbons up and work with smaller sections.  They'd be easier to handle and you won't risk them getting wonky as you're applying.

B-Line Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B-Line Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 4:54am
post #3 of 5

I think those are real ribbons, they seem too shiny to be fondant.

But if you want it all edible (I would), you can either try a wax paper transfer or like the pp suggested, use the intersecting points to create "sections" and lay it in pieces.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 8:12am
post #4 of 5

I think they are gumpaste - if you look closely, there are 2 little 'nicks' which look like they could be joins.  If I was you, I would use a long paintbrush and paint water onto the cake in a long smooth line then apply the gumpaste to the cake.  If you 'lower' it on from the top, then hopefully it should stick to the line and help maintain the straightness.

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 5

They are gumpaste/fondant.  Real ribbon would not lay nicely with those curves and bends.  And you can see the joins like snowflakebunny23 said  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%