Ateco Or Wilton Decorating Tips

Decorating By gwertheim Updated 29 Aug 2015 , 12:16am by gwertheim

gwertheim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwertheim Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 5

Hello All,

I recently started baking cakes and I'm about to start teaching myself how to decorate.

My question is which brand should I go with Ateco or Wilton.

I know Ateco has been around for a century (give or take a couple of years) and is used by the pros, but Wilton has more info about their products with tutorials and charts etc

Any help would be appreciated

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 5

It doesn't really matter for piping tips, but for anything like spatulas or tools I'd go with ateco. But really, buy whatever fits the need for the use you have. Wilton tools tend to be flimsier in my experience, but there are other brands out there too, and you don't have to stick with just one.

gwertheim Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you

For the offset spatula I went ateco or another brand which I trust. 

Anyone know which tips I should look for to start out with from the Ateco line??

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 12:11am
post #4 of 5

I prefer Ateco.  A friend who makes very, very detailed sugar cookies won't use anything but PME tips.  But the cost $5 each and the selection is limited.  

The tips depend on what you plan to do.  I love big tips for cupcakes like an 853, 824.  You'll need something like a 2 for Swiss dots.  I got a baggy of some 20-30 tips that are Wilton and some Hobby Lobby brand.  There are pretty new and in very good condition.  I was going to toss them, but I'll send then to you if you want them.  Just message me if you want them.

gwertheim Posted 29 Aug 2015 , 12:16am
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the offer but shipping them north of the border will cost more than they are worth and you never know when you will need them yourself :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%