Client Requested Icing But No Cake For Birthday Boy...

Baking By SimplyCakesNMore Updated 27 Aug 2015 , 4:27am by Debbie45628

SimplyCakesNMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 31

So a regular customer has requested ideas on something special to do for her son on his birthday because he doesn't like cake.  Or Rice Krispies Treats.  But he loves icing.  Any ideas?  I'm struggling.  I thought maybe some sort of icing parfait or something like that maybe?

30 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 31

Maybe some icing piped in ice cream cones, making it look like soft ice?

Or hollow chocolate eggs filled with icing? 

Pinkcoinzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pinkcoinzy Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 31

Maybe a big chocolate chip cookie with icing 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 31

you can use silicone molds with rolled buttercream, candy clay and fudge -- don't make it too big -- i'm lamenting my over grown sweet tooth so keeping it a moderate size would be nice

marzipan would be excellent because it has all those almonds in there y'know protein to balance out the sugar somewhat -- just only gotta figure out if he likes marzipan :) but it molds like crazy --

and the fudge i thought of is peanut butter fudge -- what young man doesn't like that --

i mean you could just do poured chocolates too -- find some cool molds maybe like this -- make him a street scene or a race car track or a demolition derby

http://www.dhgate.com/product/christmas-cake-tools-car-mold-silicone-cake/217852972.html?utm_source=pla&utm_medium=GMC&utm_campaign=mala84&utm_term=217852972&f=bm%7c217852972%7c019030-Kitchen,DiningBar%7cGMC%7cAdwords%7cpla%7cmala84%7cUS%7c019030002-Bakeware%7cc%7c%7c0LWF%7c&gclid=CjwKEAjwpPCuBRDris2Y7piU2QsSJAD1Qv7BqAIudDfRXqqLB8TzlDopK0bSoZZ_y51Du_MkdL8CihoC86Xw_wcB

-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 31

what about decorated eclairs or cream puffs or something like that? loaded with vanilla pastry cream and topped with chocolate mmm

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 25 Aug 2015 , 2:29pm
SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 31

You could do sugar cookies with icing on top like these:

sfsc.jpg

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 31

Another problem that we've got is that he doesn't like chocolate!  I suggested a brownie with icing (the theme is Minecraft) and she said he wouldn't eat chocolate.  This is not a normal 6 year old!!  So I'm just going to get a sundae cup and use the icing like a sundae with sprinkles and a paper topper.  It's all I can think of, lol.  We were going to do cookies, but she changed her mind about them.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 31

just my two cents if he likes icing he could like fruit pies, doughnuts, pudding or something -- 'not like cake' is not a real thing -- this is more of a 'who's in charge' thing -- and I get it -- I raised a couple kids -- 

Amps.prkns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amps.prkns Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 31

How about ice cream? Maybe layers of ice cream and frosting and then frost the whole hung like a cake?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 5:22pm
post #10 of 31

I get that the birthday boy doesn't like cake but what about their guests? There should be a cake for everyone and a special whatever for the birthday boy.  I wouldn't be happy if someone handed my child a cup of icing!  The sugar Buzz is going to take a toll on every household represented grin.png

-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 31

yes what pbl said good thinking

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 6:16pm
post #12 of 31

Now I've heard everything.....

tessmilligan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessmilligan Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 6:23pm
post #13 of 31

Do a frozen buttercream transfer. They aren't too hard and you can put them on ANYTHING!! I put the Bob Marley FBCT on a large sugar cookie and everyone was happy

55dcb6b07a7a0.jpeg

*Last edited by tessmilligan on 25 Aug 2015 , 6:46pm
Nat1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nat1980 Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 31

What about just putting icing dollops or something like what's on the blue sugar cookies above on wax paper---serve the rest cupcakes, brownies, or cookies??

julia1812 Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 7:14pm
post #15 of 31

Good point pastrybaglady. What about the other guests???

Btw, the "sugar high" only exist in parent's mind. I just read a recent study where they split a test group of kids, gave half of the groups sugary sweets and the other half too and their behaviour change was to be observed by the parents.  Only that one group got not real sweets but placebos (but nobody knew). Parents of both "sugar test groups" noticed "significant behaviour change due to sugar intake" - only to find out later half of the kids didn't get sugar at all. Why did they noticed same behaviour? Apparently only due to parents' anticipation of the kid's behaving. Basically all it is is a circle of false anticipations. Okay...and of course not very healthy eating ;)

Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 7:23pm
post #16 of 31

Maybe I've got this all wrong.  Is she just ordering frosting for her son and something else for the guests?  Why would you consult a professional for icing alone?  If for some bizarre reason she wants to feed her guests frosting to save a buck you might want to tell her every mother will be talking smack about her for years to come!  "Remember when Cindy just gave all the kids frosting for dessert, what was she thinking?  What kind of mother..."

julia1812 Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 7:34pm
post #17 of 31

"Remember when Cindy just gave all the kids frosting for dessert, what was she thinking?  What kind of mother..."

LOL 

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 8:01pm
post #18 of 31

Ideas: Watermelon frosted like a cake, Giant cookie pizza (chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar cookie etc), pie of any kind, mini-pies, cake pops(?), decorated/ candy-coated marshmallows, pancakes stacked up really high, cheesecake (regular, giant, mini etc), meringue cookies made into shapes (with different colors, swirl, etc). Figure out his favorite food and go from there.

Edited: Link to watermelon cake: http://www.isavea2z.com/no-bake-watermelon-cake-recipe/

Edited to add: Ice cream cookie cake (made from ice cream sandwiches) :)

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 25 Aug 2015 , 8:05pm
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 8:18pm
post #19 of 31

As mentioned above, COOKIE WITH BUTTERCREAM.

Or, you could stack cookies with buttercream.    (images from google search--not my baked goods)

Image result for stacked cookies with buttercream

il_570xN.361611305_4ah8.jpg

*Last edited by Apti on 25 Aug 2015 , 8:18pm
littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 8:25pm
post #20 of 31

I have a 6 year old niece that doesn't care for cake either, her grandpa ended up eating her slice of cake at her birthday party. I I like the cookie and ice cream cake idea. 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 9:16pm
post #21 of 31

as a kid and in fact for the first 35-40 years of my life cake was merely a vehicle for the main event, the icing -- as a kid i taught myself how to make icing and ate it all -- like i said i spent my childhood jonesing for sweets -- but i never had the nerve to serve it at a party as the main dessert -- 

what about smilie face 'coins' or if you can do a little figure piping on top of some small coin shapes -- or you could do his initials or put one letter on each coin spelling out "h-a-p-p-y b-i-r-t-h-d-a-y sugar monster boy hope you can avoid spreading insulin resistance to the rest of your guests" -- something poignant and pithy like that >fist bump<

if you do crusting buttercream a few days in advance they will set up and you could also serve them in cupcake/candy wrappers--

we used to add a few drops of peppermint oil to crusting buttercream and pipe rosebud mints for weddings

i'd hope the size of this dessert is kept in proper proportion--

hey what about cream cheese mints?

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 9:48pm
post #22 of 31

My nephew won't eat cake either. He actually cried every time he had one on his birthday because he thought he HAD to eat it. His mom assured him every year that it's only for the guests and he just had to blow out the candles. He happily eats a bowl of ice cream instead :-)

*Last edited by bakernoob on 25 Aug 2015 , 9:49pm
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 10:13pm
post #23 of 31

You could make biscuit bowls (choc chip ones are yummy) by greasing the underside of a mini muffin tin REALLY REALLY well then baking the biscuits over that. You could then use different fillings ie cooked flour frosting, cherry ripe (dessicated coconut with glace cherries chopped through for the filling then topped with ganache), mint with ganache topping etc the ideas are endless and will hopefully appeal to most people.

As they are only small they don't feel like you are eating icing,icing and more icing.

I made the cherry and mint ones with a plain vanilla biscuit bowl for a party that we had and they were a huge hit with the adults.

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 25 Aug 2015 , 10:15pm
post #24 of 31

What about doing sugar cookies that resemble "creepers" 

they would be pretty straightforward...square cookies with green icing and black squares representing the creepers face?

there are TONS of cool minecraft themed things that aren't cake based.   Search "minecraft dessert ideas not cake" and hit images.   

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 6:00pm
post #25 of 31

Haha, you guys have cracked me up! She has ordered an actual cake for the guests. This is a combined party for both her sons so I'm doing half Mickey and half Minecraft on a two-tiered cake. She had ordered cookies as favors, but a change in her budget got them cancelled. So the "icing sundae" is just for the older boy. I would love to make him a cookie of his own since I know he does like cookies, but I don't want to make a whole batch of dough for 2-3 cookies. :(  There are some great ideas on this board, though! Thank you all!!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 6:31pm
post #26 of 31

i want one of bubs1stbirthday's biscuit cups, please, chocolate chip with the cherries and a little almond for good measure

heart_eyes.png

Pastrybaglady Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 6:37pm
post #27 of 31

Glad to hear your customer is sane!

Since Minecraft is one of the themes maybe you could make frosting boy a cookie cube filled with frosting.  You can always halve the dough and freeze whatever you have leftover.  There always seems to be a reason frozen cookie dough comes in handy.

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 9:33pm
post #28 of 31

Oooooh, it's in addition to a cake.  Ok, I feel better now :)

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 26 Aug 2015 , 11:31pm
post #29 of 31

@-K8memphis  Sending some over now....... no guarantees on quality when they arrive in a few weeks though stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.png

*Last edited by bubs1stbirthday on 26 Aug 2015 , 11:32pm
-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 12:00am
post #30 of 31

can't wait :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%